garage/F@H system build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Comp will be on in the garage 24/7 so figured it should be a F@H pig as well.

Summary:

Primary needs:
- basic office stuff
- internet
- graphics design (photoshop, autocad) hobby stuff, not professional
- F@H: would like to kick some arse if possible

Secondary needs:
- Gaming: dota, CSS, Star craft, etc...nothing too demanding at this point

Limitations:
- Temperature extremes: 32C to -30C exposed to outdoor ambient temperatures in Ontario, Canada.
- Limited ventilation, because of the temperature fluxes and general dirty conditions (metal shavings, sawdust) don't want that much air flowing through the system, it will probably be built into a cupboard or something.
- $$$, would like to keep this cheap and affordable as it's not a key system in the house.

Current resources (I know its not all compatible):
- NEW ATI X1950GT
- bunch of AMD Socket A mobos and cpus (GPU: AGP)
- 2GB Ballistix RAM PC6400
- Multiple HDDs
- half a dozen cases

Anyways, if my goal is a folding pig but can't afford a quad figured I'd go down the GPU road. Should I stick with the 1950 and get a mobo/cpu or should i sell it and pick up a used 3850 or 3870 to use the GPU2 client? How much of an increase is the GPU to GPU2 client?

Or, should i string together 2 or 3 old AMD socket A systems?

Anyways, thanks for the input, a little new to the folding scene and don't know the intricacies yet.

[edit]BTW, I do realize the socket A option kills the gaming option[/edit]

Ok, no feedback yet....here is what I' leaning towards, sell the x1950 and get:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G - $65
cpu: E2160 - $65
Vid: HD3850 - $115
cas: have one
psu: have one
ram: have one
dvd: have one
HDD: have one

This way I can run the GPU2 client instead of GPU1.

Look good as a folding system? upgradeable to quad later if $$$ presents its self.

Just have to make sure your PSU is sufficient for the 3850. Seems pretty good, though. You can always OC the CPU.

Nvidia cards are salughtering ati cards in folding at home, id suggest an 8800gs instead.

Ok...I must be blind, reading their webpage I thought only ATI cards were supported?

Do I just use the same GPU2 client?

[edit]I would for sure OC the CPU, hence the 2160[/edit]

Ya you would use the GPU2 Client which supports nVidia cards that are g80 or higher, maybe switch the 8800gts g80 for the HD 3850 in your main rig or buy a cheap 8800gs for your folding rig

Or....knowing that now I can just switch the 8800gt out of my HTPC and put the 1950 in it instead. lol, glad I asked instead of just assuming.

Ok...I must be blind, reading their webpage I thought only ATI cards were supported?

Do I just use the same GPU2 client?

[edit]I would for sure OC the CPU, hence the 2160[/edit]

Its not the same client, its a different client.

If you need help getting setup, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom