Plethora of problems leads me to blindly buy new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I am going to describe the problems I had with my computer and see if I can get some clarification as to what might have been happening. My sister claims that she was playing Morrowind on the computer one day, and the next day she tried to boot the computer up it did not boot properly.

When I got around to booting up the computer, the BIOS told me that the SATA HDD could not be detected. I decided to try to reinstall windows despite this warning. The HDD was not detected by Windows setup either. I thought that the problem laid with the HDD itself, but after testing a HDD from another computer to no avail I realized that the problem had to be with the motherboard or the cables. (When I booted the computer I could FEEL the HDD powering up.) I tried switching out all the cables with no success. I thought that the problem had to do with the motherboard from this point on.

Frustrated, and not knowing what else to do, I decided to reset the CMOS by taking out the MOBO's battery for a few minutes. I also reseated a plastic cap that covered two of three pins that have something to do with memory on the motherboard as well, although I'm not sure exactly what the pins were for. This is when things started to get hairy. When I booted up the computer for the next few attempts all I got were long, infinitely repeating beeps. I looked up the meaning of the beeps and learned that they lay with a problem with the memory. Reseating the ram fixed the beeping problem.

Every time I would boot up the computer after this the CMOS settings could not be restored from the previous boot, and the computer alerted me of this every time I booted the computer. I could still access the bios and was still alerted that the SATA HDD could not be detected.

When I boot up the computer now all the fans and devices get powered on, but no posting beep occurs, and the monitor displays no signal. As a result of this fiasco I ordered a new motherboard, ram set, and processor. How likely is it that i'll fix whatever the **** is wrong with my computer with this shot in the dark?

Hello,

From my best guess it sounds as if the SATA Controllers were gone. Maybe a BIOS Update?

But a new mobo, RAM and all that should help fix the issues.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom