Upgrading an Old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not hard at all. You just screw it into the case and connect the power cables to the motherboard optical drive(s), hard drive and graphics card.

It's not hard at all. You just screw it into the case and connect the power cables to the motherboard optical drive(s), hard drive and graphics card.

Ah aright, how difficult is it to install the PSU? its the only component I havn't researched installation on.

mine was litterally 3 TINY screws...and it comes right out :)

I was going to suggest this antec case, because it was a bargain at $70, and comes WITH a good PSU....but they raised the price to 100 :rolleyes: ... I just bought one 2 weeks ago.....

Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Ah, aright thanks for the suggestion, would've been great to get at 70, but now that its $100 I think I'm going with those other two pieces to save a few bucks. I do have another question though, now that I'm replacing the Case, PSU, Mobo, Processor, Memory, and Video Card, am I essentially just building a computer? Besides the HDD that I think I can salvage, what else can I use from my old computer?

Lol I've been back and forth from upgrading to just building an entirely new computer, Looks like I'm back to building a new one. Now, I think I know how to salvage my optical drive, but what do I have to do to get the OS from my old comp and have it work on my new one?

Reinstall it of course, assuming you have the discs. If it's preloaded then you have a problem and may need to buy a copy.

Aright, Ill have to check into if it came preloaded. Besides that, just to wrap up, heres the setup I have in mind now, its basically Puddle Jumper's entire list of suggestions

Video Card
Memory
Motherboard
Processor
PSU
Case

If anyones got any suggestions before I buy, Id love to hear em. At this time though, I'm happy enough with the quality that I'm not looking to pay more for a better piece, but if anyone knows of a reliable piece of roughly the same quality that costs a bit less, I'd love to hear them.

Oh also, are there any fans I'm going to need to purchase?

Reinstall it of course, assuming you have the discs. If it's preloaded then you have a problem and may need to buy a copy.

thats what sucks.... I've got like 2 Gateway systems and 2 dell systems...and NO windows installation CDs./...only "reinstallation" CDs :rolleyes:

Aright, Ill have to check into if it came preloaded. Besides that, just to wrap up, heres the setup I have in mind now, its basically Puddle Jumper's entire list of suggestions

Video Card
Memory
Motherboard
Processor
PSU
Case

If anyones got any suggestions before I buy, Id love to hear em. At this time though, I'm happy enough with the quality that I'm not looking to pay more for a better piece, but if anyone knows of a reliable piece of roughly the same quality that costs a bit less, I'd love to hear them.

Oh also, are there any fans I'm going to need to purchase?

Build looks good.. if you want extra Case Fans and a CPU Fan to make sure it doesn't overheat when overclocking thats a good idea..

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

and its cheap and effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom