New computer for dad -- need your feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
Okay first of all, my dad is going to be buying a new computer around this christmas time, and he wants to do some casual gaming with it. Keep in mind he has been using a 2.3 Ghz P4, a gig of ram, and an fx5200 for about 4 years now ... so he is more than content with playing games on the lowest of settings; He just wants to play games.

This is what I have so far...

GPU Hd 3870: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100225DDR3L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
It was between this or the 9600GSO, but I figure that the 3870 might have slightly more of a lifetime. It doesn't matter to him that the 3870 might struggle with AA, he wants to play the game and I think this card might be able to play a couple games in the future that the 9600GSO (384 MB) might be struggling with.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

PSU: Newegg.com - Rosewill Stallion Series Single 12cm Ball Bearing Fan RD500-2-SB ATX V2.2 500W Power Supply 115V/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Power Supplies

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2220 Allendale 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors
I'm probably going to overclock it a few hundred megahertz for a few extra frames and for slightly added longevity. I'm concerned about the cache though for long-term gaming.

RAM: Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Ram isn't much of a concern, 2 gigs should be fine for awhile and ddr2-800 is a fine speed.

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075
Improvement from his old 40 gig 5200 rpm hard drive.

Okay, so this build comes to about $460. The budget can't go more than $10-20 over this, and I think that this is about as good of a system as I can get. Things may change by christmas, and I think this list will be updated accordingly.

But as of now, does anyone have any other ideas? Things like a better cpu or gpu for the same price, or cheaper component that performs similar to another. The main thing I'm concerned about is the processor, but at this price range I don't think I have many options.

Any feedback would be appreciated, except comments that entail coughing up some more money for a component that increases the budget $100+. They will be ignored.

There is nothing wrong with that cpu at all. With a decent overclock it will be running at the same speeds as the more expensive types so I hardly think you will notice a difference.

That video card will do your dad well (i still use a 8600GTS which runs all modern games to date, crysis included, at decent rates). I think that it is a good set up for the price range you have. You could get a bigger hard drive for not much more as they are so inexpensive now day's but that's just personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with that cpu at all. With a decent overclock it will be running at the same speeds as the more expensive types so I hardly think you will notice a difference.

That video card will do your dad well (i still use a 8600GTS which runs all modern games to date, crysis included, at decent rates). I think that it is a good set up for the price range you have. You could get a bigger hard drive for not much more as they are so inexpensive now day's but that's just personal preference.

Yeah I already upgraded him from the initial 80 gig I had (which would have been more than enough anyway), but at this point I don't think its worth the extra dollar or two for him to bump from an 160 to a 250 or more. He hasn't even filled up the 40 gig in his current machine. But thanks for the input, it's nice to hear that I made a build that people actually are agreeing with.

It was between this or the 9600GSO, but I figure that the 3870 might have slightly more of a lifetime. It doesn't matter to him that the 3870 might struggle with AA, he wants to play the game and I think this card might be able to play a couple games in the future that the 9600GSO (384 MB) might be struggling with.

You can get 9600GT for $109.99, which is very close to 9600GSO price
Newegg.com - Foxconn 9600GT-512 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And in case you haven't noticed, the HD3870 that you posted use GDDR3 unlike other HD3870 which use GDDR4

Moreover, you could save more money by getting this motherboard. So, try to get E7200 instead of E2220
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also, you can get a RAM with better timing for a cheaper price after MIR
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

You can get 9600GT for $109.99, which is very close to 9600GSO price
Newegg.com - Foxconn 9600GT-512 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And in case you haven't noticed, the HD3870 that you posted use GDDR3 unlike other HD3870 which use GDDR4

Moreover, you could save more money by getting this motherboard. So, try to get E7200 instead of E2220
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also, you can get a RAM with better timing for a cheaper price after MIR
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Well first of all, thanks for the comments.

Well from the benchmarks I've seen the 9600GSO outperforms the 9600GT sometimes, and the hd 3870 outperforms them both when AA isn't a factor. Also about GDDR3, it really doesn't matter because I won't be doing much overclocking and it looks like the one I'm getting is clocked around the same as the others. And if that's a factor I will just overclock it a little bit.

With the motherboard... I've only heard bad things about the BIOSTAR brand, is that a solid one cause it would be nice to bump up the processor a little bit?

Concerning the RAM, I generally don't look at MIR's as a factor, too many times have I got screwed out of them. I consider the base price and consider the MIR as an added bonus that may or may not go through. Plus it takes so long to get the money back sometimes... meh.

Directed at my post: If looking at the build i posted, get the E2180 since the E2160 is out of stock, or get a e7200.

As for the card, if you want a bit more power try and get a 4850, otherwise look at 8800gt/s or the 3870 as you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom