Power Surge - Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoB10

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Recently (and in the past) the power went out in my house causing my computer to restart. When this happened my computer would halt after the main start up screen (where it shows my graphics card name Nvidia). After I mess around with the hardware for a bit, it will eventually start. I don't know if it is time delayed or if I happen to pull something out and put it back in and it kicks it back into gear.

The first time this problem occurred was when someone flicked the breakers in the house and the computer restarted. This actually happened on an older computer. As of recently this happened on my new computer except it was raining lightly outside (no lightning/thunder). The power flickered a few times and then the computer wouldn't start up. I fussed with the hardware and it started up. This has happened about three times with my new computer.

Side note: The computer was connected to a nice surge protector but little did I realize it wasn't grounded (forgot that the wall receptacle did not actually have a ground - old house). It was like this for two of the power outs. Today it happened again but this time it was grounded. It usually takes about 2 hours before the computer will start up though if the power goes out. Mind you, if I restart the computer it will start up fine, problems only occur when the power goes out.

Does anyone have idea what's wrong? Any comments appreciated. I have considered trying a new motherboard now that is officially grounded, maybe the power outs won't affect it then.

In your BIOS there are a few settings to do with you power, and what the system will do if the power dies.
One of the options is for the computer to remain off when the power dies, which you should select.

Yeah I checked this, it was already set to remain off. I said "restart" a few times but I meant it just turned off, but when I try to turn it back on, I have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom