computer randomly restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lheggie

Baseband Member
A friend of mine is having computer problems. She recently had her computer upgraded from windows me to windows xp home edition. and she had 128 mb or ram added to the system.

She got the system home and had it up and running for a couple of days and then it started randomly restarting without warning.

She took the power supply to be tested and had me remove the new ram that was installed and still the computer randomly restarts.

any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

She didnt do windows update did she?

The surival rate of a windows based pc without protection is 20 minutes. (I read on slashdot this morning.)

she has 256 mb ram with the 128 that was recently added. And it was a full install of windows. it has an 800 mhz processor and all of the xp critical updates have been added.

when the ram was added a old 10 gb hd was removed and an 80 gb seagate was installed on the system.

if additional info is needed please let me know. i appreciate all of the help.

how much juice is the PSU pushing. 80Gig HDD added as well as doubling memory.. maybe the PSU isn't powerfull enough.

Ya, check the bios for any anomalies, maybe too high voltage, but how it got increased i have no idea. If she is wanting to, take out her hd, and reformat them on an other pc, then reinstall a clean windows, and c if that helps.

no, I dont mean it like that. I mean that she added some stuff and her PSU may not have enough power to run her new configuration. dbld memory and such, will require a little more juice. and if her PSU was just enough for prev config, this may of been to much and causing the computer to restart. another thing, rt click my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery, and then remove the check next auto reboot under system failure. that way instead of restart we can get some kind of error. and check (in admin) for event viewer. tell us what you see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom