Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah good idea with the ply wood! the lid or top of the case will have the acrylic screwed in so that should be fine. how ever i will still need to place a support in the middle of the case to also0 help keep its shape better...
This pic should show you what i mean...:
bracemx8.jpg

The ply wood will only improve the structural integrity of the base... the view from the top probably wont look as good with the brace i'll have to put in

oh i have an idea

put the brace in and cut out a flame design on somealuminum and attach it over the brace so it doesnt look so tacky? or put something over it that has a design on it.

Yep not a bad Idea... flames aren't my favorite design but I shall put something on it. thanks for that one! ok here are some pics of the case...:
It looks ok... its got enough space
newpics033ff5.jpg

I removed the bar things already, they were just riveted in... but now i think i should of left the middle one in.. we'll see, i can always put it back in, its strong enough.
newpics036vz6.jpg

your welcome. :p have you ever thought of doing the connectorless psu mod? where you take the connector and cut it offand solder the wires to the back of the mobo on the pins sticking out? it makes for a pretty clean set up. Some of the member's on here have done that. it may be a little intimidating though. i know it is to me so i wouldnt dare do it.

it really wouldn't be that hard to do, but if you ever want to take your mobo out or change out psu's it would be a big pain IMHO. But i guess if you know you won't be changing anything it would work great.

Good news again!

Scored a Intel P4 system from my work.....with a missing psu tho... oh well can easly pick up an new one of those up or i'll just hunt around work looking for one..

So that shall be my mod PC! yeah.. i was thinking of using my comp but i didnt really like the idea of that

Soo I'll post some mroe pics up again soon!

Hello again,

I made more progress. Went to my local hardware store and bought:
Hacksaw, Drill Bits, Ply Wood, Zinc Primer, Undercoat for Wood, and Matt Black Paint.
Once i was home i started quickly. From the PC i got from work i took out the HDD bay and CDROM bay, Primed them and painted them. the turnd out quite nice if i do say so myself...:
casecutting001eq0.jpg

OK now what you see next is probably one of the more silliest ways to cut a steel case. Mind you i had only two hand tools to do it with. i did ok. I'll have power tools tomorrow. and it will be all neat and tidy then. I Lined out what section i needed in black. Its mainly just the mobo mounts
casecutting002et5.jpg

Hope u can see the lines... and the tools i used... twas quite fun..
casecutting005hb0.jpg

Ha! look how easy I make it look!
casecutting008ed6.jpg

Of course cutting and bending steel like i was WITHOUT any protection came at a grave cost. I think i may live. but my hands are gonna be sore. that steel is like 2 - 3 mm thick and those cutters are not brand new and probably not ment for a job like this...:::
casecutting011bj8.jpg

Well there you have it. It should all be coated and looking neat tomorrow! hopefully!

No way. I'm making new trends fro Case Modding! haha :D. well today, i got the Motherboard mount plate cut out and painted. i cut out the top of the case. cut some spare acrylic that i had to fit the top of the case. Bought:
The Cheepest PSU i could find (AU$45) 400W. One long blue cathode, One 120mm coolmaster blue LED fan, and some nice small tooth blade for my jigsaw. I think i got ripped off with the comp parts, the cathode and the fan brought the price up to $80... odd. its a nice fan tho. I'll post Pics when i get home. I'm out at TAFE/Uni/Collage Doing my night time IT Diploma Course! woot!

Hey, Here are some pics of what i've done so far and what i bought.

PSU (that i painted...half of lol), Cool Master Blue LED 120mm fan, and blue cathode:
casemod3708002rx1.jpg

This is the cut i made in the lid. it was alright...could be neater... i just need more practice.
casemod3708005dd2.jpg

The old PC cases motherboard mount plate..:
casemod3708003jq4.jpg

Ply wood to line the bottom of the case and to make mounting the motherboard plate, HDD and CD rom racks, as well as the PSU, easy:
casemod3708006xp3.jpg

I bought a pack of 4 X 20mm bolts and mounted all the metal:
casemod3708007sn0.jpg

casemod3708008ji9.jpg

This is what it looks like from underneath the case. not to shabby:
casemod3708010tj3.jpg

And finally i but out the hole for my fan, as you might be able to see i kinda stuffed it at the end on the right hand side... did i mention i need practice? hahha:
casemod3708014ym6.jpg

Well thats it so far...tell us what you think, give me criticism! i need to know what i can do better so my next mods arnt as bad. besides the fact that i need to practice cutting.. hope you have enjoyed watching this mod come along just as much as i have enjoyed building it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom