Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
I'm in dire need of a new hard drive, mine being only 80gb. However, I don't want to throw the 80gb one away. I was wondering if I could use both hard drives.

I need to find out what kind of hard drive I have (SATA, IDE, ATA,) all these names are confusing me. But I need to find out what type of Hard drive I have, and which one to get, and if I can have both going at the same time.

Sorry if I sound a little confusing. I'm just a bit rushed.

If it's a desktop, open it up and determine if the hard drive has a fat cord (IDE) or 4-pin cord (SATA).

As for installing a second hard drive, I believe it's just as easy as popping it in and making sure your bios sees the drive. From there, just format the drive to your desires.

Alright, there's a 4 pin cable that does not look like it's connected to anything, and a smaller cable from the HDD that plugs directly into the motherboard.

So it's SATA I assume? Unfortunately, there's only one slot for a hard drive and doesn't look like there's room for more. Guess I'll have to sell it on craigslist or something heh.

If that above is all true, and it is a SATA, any recommendations? Preferably from NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. because it's the store closest to me. I'm looking for something around 250gigs to 500, but not lower. I'm just hoping the price is under $120.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, will the physical size of the drive matter? 3.5inch vs 2.5inch?

ATA = IDE = EIDE = wide flat ribbon cable

SATA = thin cable, maybe 1/4" wide

Since you don't have room for another drive in the cage, do you have a spare drive bay? If so, you can use this to mount the drive:
Removable drive tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom