Partitions for best perfomance

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
HI.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but, after it is related to OS I desided to post it here.

I a few days I planning to reformat my system and put an XP on it.
The question is: What is the best combination of HD partitions to put. I've found a nice site about it: http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm , but I think that it is too useles to havr up to 10 partitions, while I have only one phisical drive (see in my sig for specs).

So, what is your suggestions?

well, if you are planning on taking an Image of the SYSTEM partition then use about 8 GB. Then you can get XP on it and have room for allof the upgrades. Then you need to use a different partions to actually install your apps to it, as after a while you will run out of space and need more room if you put all your apps on the main dir. Programs that you use alot need to go there, but games and really big stuff need to go somewhere else.

If you are not planning on using an imaging tool, then Partitions are really useless. The only reason to use a partition now is to limit the size of the total space. There is not a reason to use it if you are not planning on capturing the config to restore later.
My opinion.

Interesting... I've never heard about image tool, what is it?
And, the main reason ot create partitions , on my opinion, is to have less fragmentation of system, to gain better perfomance..

My main reason of creating partitions is bescause I can format one without affecting the others

An Image tool (for example Ghost, DriveImage or others) makes a copy of your harddrive/partition or any folder. You can choose to compress it. The copy can be restored later.

Lately I installed WindowsXP Pro on the first partition, downloaded and installed all updates, and made an Image of that partition and stored it on another partition.

If something happens to my system, all I have to do is resore the Image to the Partition I want Windows to be. Ofcourse all files of that partition will be deleted because it replaces all data.

You could install Windows and a lot of programs on the same partition and make an Image...this way you never have to install Windows and all these programs again...you simply restore the Image you stored on another partiton to the Windows partition and a clean windows including all previously programs is ready for use.

I love partitions!! Just format c: and all my documents on d:\ are preserved

I have 2 partitions on my pc, 1 for xp, and the other for all software/games etc. But the thing is, when i wana reformat and reinstall windows, i ususally end up reformating all, cuz my other drive has a load of useless stuff that got there somehow, but as they said, having partitions is cleaner, and makes it so u have les fragmentaion, thus increasing performance. But if you are using an image tool, it can be very usefull.

when i wana reformat and reinstall windows, i ususally end up reformating all, cuz my other drive has a load of useless stuff that got there somehow, [/B]

My other partitions usually have some crap too, but I just delete the unknown or useless folders when formatting the XP partition

I like to start at 0 when i foprmat, i try new stuff, maybe stuff to be better organized etc

don't install to much software, only those you really need, and always manually configure the folder where they are installed or else they will be everywhere

thats what i do, i just end up installing things i think are usefull, then never tuch them again, and having a clean hd makes me feel better, hehe, any ways, i reformat EVERYTHING every 3-4 months usually, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom