Upgrading an Old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get a 8800gs instead of a 8600gt. It is considerably faster and is well worth the price increase.

Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Since you want to run a quad I would get a better power supply. A Corsair 550vx would provide plenty of power for your system.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

If you don't plan on overclocking get this Q6600 that comes with a cpu cooler.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Ah thanks for the advice. I imagine a Quad-core processor would be nice, but do you think it would just be overkill for my situation? I've never actually used one before, so I don't know if it's going to be such an upgrade that my video card and ram just start holding the processor back, in which case I would've made better use out of a Core 2 Duo rather than a Quad core.

Unless you are into multi-media, encoding, or such, there is no solid reason to go with a quad. A dual core will handle regular computing with ease.

Post a budget and what you want to be able to do with the computer. Odds are you won't need the latest and greatest, such as a quad or a 8800. Once the spend, spend, spend fever burns down, we can put together something that fits what you want to do.

Yeah, I think my spending fever is burning down and I'm thinking a bit more realistically. I wrote up a budget of 700 on a different thread, and they gave me some great pieces, but now I'm thinking Ill try to upgrade my Mobo, Memory, Video card, and processor, and keep everything else from my old comp. I'm looking to run COD4 or WoW At full settings, while spending a minimal amount, maybe 250-300 if possible, but I think that might be a bit too low to be realistic.

Oh, I almost forgot, would I have to upgrade my Psu anyways because of compatibility issues?

There should be a sticker on the side of the psu if you could post a picture of that. Also do you know if your current case is atx?

I was unable to get a pic of my PSU, the quality wasn't good enough to make out any of the words on the sticker, but I managed to write them down.

What I could see was

Bestec
Input 100-127v -6A, 200-240V -3A, 60/50 HZ
Output +12V =/ 15A, -12V =/ 0.8A
300W Max +5V
5V & 3.3V 180W Max

I may have missed a few things, so let me know if it makes as less sense to you as it does to me :p

Oh about the case, I couldnt find where to look to find the manufacturer of the case, the best I could do was find a picture onlineThe Case looks exactly like mine if you're able to determine what it is from there.

You will need a new psu. This Antec is a great vale after mir.

Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Power Supplies

You case is micro atx which means the motherboard will not fit. Your best option would probably be getting a new case because the selection of micro atx intel motherboards is pretty limited. I have built a system with this case and was very happy with it.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Ah aright, how difficult is it to install the PSU? its the only component I havn't researched installation on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom