Frequent restarts with a win32k.sys error

Status
Not open for further replies.

porgorg

Baseband Member
Hi, just joined about an hour ago as I've had various errors with my PC so hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem.

I reinstalled XP onto my machine a few weeks ago due to having been on there for a year or so.

Things were running smoothly until I was getting restarts every so often.
I was advised to run memtest and chkdsk.

Memtest I ran overnight. 300% on one window and 150% in another with no errors.
Chkdsk didn't come up with anything either, just restarted the PC, did the blue screen with text at startup and loaded XP as usual.

I've checked inside the case for blown capacitors but nothing there. Also cleaned it for build ups of dust. But still I was getting restarts and they were becoming more frequent.

From another thread I got the BSOD to show up and it said:
Problem file - win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

STOP: 0X000000050 (0XE3637000, 0X00000000, 0XBF823735, 0X00000001)
win32k.sys - address BF823735 base at BF800000, Date Stamp 48025f2a

Also told me to turn off cacheing and shadowing. I found 'Systme BIOS cacheable - Enabled' Should I disable this?

I'm thinking it could be the PSU as it's about 3 years old but any advice is welcome.
I was worried it could be getting overloaded as it holds 250W / 330W max. I tested my setup on another link on here and it said the wattage was about 300 for my system.

Hope someone can help.

Thought I'd better add machine specs as well:

Motherboard: PCChips M848A
Processor: AMD Athlon +2400
RAM: DDR SD RAM [3 sticks] 512Mb / 512Mb / 1Gb
Graphics Card: Nvidia 6200
Hard Drives: 80Gb / 160Gb
Sound Card: Creative 5.1 Digital

Running Windows XP SP3

Hello,

I would first check your power consumption. Use a online PSU calculator to figure out how much power you are drawing then compare that to how much you have. You might not have enough power to run the system overall and the lack of power is what is causing this issue.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

The lifespan can be anywhere from years to weeks. Depending on if you overload it or use it properly. I have had PSU's last for 10 years. I have had some that last for 10 hours.

Please read thru the Hardware Sticky Index. There is a topic on Quality PSU's that you should read. It will prove to be worth it.

Cheers,
Mak

Sorry about bringing this back up but still getting restarts even with the new PSU [Hiper 425W]. I'm browsing each time using Opera when it does and I'm also getting random 'chugging' noises too. It's the same crunching noise you get while defragging but it's rhythmical 6 to 8 beats, then stops. Wondering if this is the MB starting to die?

If it is then I'm pretty much gonna say **** it all and get a new base system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom