New Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjoosshh

Beta member
I currently have a laptop that I use for most everything, (school, light gaming, etc).

However, it has a atix1400 so it runs what I need it to, however I'm looking for a little more power, as well as a screen larger than the 14.1in widescreen the laptop has.

I've been tossing ideas around as to whether I should build a desktop myself (I only have limited experience, upgraded ram in a few systems, as well as a video card, not sure if I won't to build my own system yet), or purchase something already built.

I don't need super great graphics, but I would have to start the build from scratch, keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS... everything. Also my budget is fairly limited, 600ish or so to start i guess, but this could go either way, so I was wondering if the easiest alternative would be to purchase something pre-built, (dell, etc.) and get a good deal on a monitor included, and then upgrade the video card later.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since 600 is your limit (or there abouts) and you only have limited experience building PC's I would suggest purchasing a pre-built computer. Two reasons, first is you don't have a lot of money, so if YOU fry one of your components by improperly handling it you won't have the money to replace it. Second reason is your expense limit, it will be difficult build a good system AND get a a monitor for 600. YOu can get some combo deals at worse buy and online that will include a decent monitor for around your price range.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that was very helpful, and about what I was thinking.

Do you have any suggestions on where to get a good deal? probably the most important thing would be something that is upgradeable down the line.

Although I usually don't suggest going to best buy or other retail places, i think with your pricerange it will be the most advisable. I just suggested a handful of worthwhile computers for a client and the lowest prices i could get online w/ a monitor combo was around 600-800 dollars (there are cheaper but you have to go single-core, celeron type processor). Which with shipping is probably more than you would like to spend.

ALMOST anything is upgradable in the future, the only thing i would watch out for is ensuring you purchase a full/mid case, not mini. A lot of retail stores sell mini towers. They are nice because they take up less room, but to upgrade and work on they ARE A PAIN.

I configured a dell with the following specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7200 (3MB L2 Cache,2.53GHz,1066 FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

22 inch E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

with coupon: $639, and I'm fairly sure free shipping.

Any idea what kind of video card this system could handle?

Try this rig out though...

e2180
Windows XP Pro SP3
2gb G-Skill NQ Kit
22'' Monitor
Cheap Case
DVD_RW
8800gs
Corsair 450vx
320gb Drive

That'd be around $550ish and tons better than that Dell

I've thought about that, but I honestly have no idea what would be compatible as far as the motherboard, which ram, which card and all.

Also I think I would have trouble dealing with the software of it all, installing the OS and all that. I've read guides, but if something were to go wrong I think I would be in trouble.

If someone could post links to a compatible build, that included everything, within my price range, it would be much appreciated.

I do ;)

Don't be afraid to ask questions I'll put everything you need.. and if you need like Support

Dell < Tech-Forums

In terms of Tech-Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom