Motherboard FSB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. As long as the processor and motherboard socket type match (LGA775, AM2, etc.) they will be compatible. Just because it only lists higher FSB speeds, doesn't mean it will not support slower speeds. In fact, any motherboard that supports high FSB will also support the slower speeds. It only applies to advertise the higher speeds, since that will earn the most attention for the higher budget builds.

oh gotcha! thanks m8

also, if it has listed on the mobo that the highest RAM speed is 1066 mhz, would i be able to OC past 1066 or is 1066 the highest possible speed?

Some will, some won't. I think that the RAM could be OC to match the FSB, but then again, if the memory standard is 1066, I do not know if it will OC past that in all cases. Most motherboards that support high OC speeds will list this. Especially on NewEgg it will say "Memory Standard DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066/800" or something like that.

I recently bought a asus motherboard. The manual specifically states not to run fsb as low as 800 or the board will become unstable.

So I would check with the manual and the manufacturer first. 1066 should be okay, I would think.

I recently bought a asus motherboard. The manual specifically states not to run fsb as low as 800 or the board will become unstable.
What motherboard was this? Besides, the FSB and memory frequencies do not always have to be linked. I think that means that you shouldn't run a CPU at FSB 800, RAM, as DDR2-800 should work in about any mid to higher-end system.

Most hardware are backwards compatable, like the above posters said. But it is ideal to get them with the same speed. Do this for two reasons. First is you wouldn't want to spend lot on a MB w/ a FSB of 1066 only to purchase RAM running at 800. Your system will only run as fast as your slowest component, so essentially you would be paying more money for a nicer MB, when you could be running the same speed for something cheaper at 800. Make sense?

And from what i've read, you really should try and get components of the same speed to increase the lifespan of your hardware. When a component continually has to 'slow down' to run at the slower speed, the lifespan of that hardware component will be cut short. Doesn't mean it won't work, just not suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom