what processor speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt R.

Beta member
I am gathering info on hardware parts, i plan on using my computer for college. I am an engineering student, so i will be running various engineering programs (CAD, etc), word processing, cd burning, and some gaming. I know that i will go with an Amd athalon, but don't know if i should go with 1.8 or go above2.0 ghz. what do you guys think?
Thanks
Matt

get an athlon xp 3000+. I use my p4 2.6 for surfing the web mostly so i think that you need a 3000+ to get the job done. Accually i do more than just surf the web on my p4 but it is mostly used for surfing the web.

Yea, you need some nice computer! My schools computer has CAD with 128Mb of ram and on-board video! HAHA! Its a laugh, takes about 10 minutes to start it up and it lags badley! I'd have to say AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Hey, I have a Athlon XP 2400+ an love it. I would recommend the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ also, because why pay that much more for the 3000+ when the performance isn't much better.

Slam'n Systems said:
Yea, you need some nice computer! My schools computer has CAD with 128Mb of ram and on-board video! HAHA! Its a laugh, takes about 10 minutes to start it up and it lags badley! I'd have to say AMD Athlon XP 2800+

My school still uses PIII 550's + Rage Pro's, even in CAD class, but recently, we got a bunch of P4's and replaced those ancient ones.

For the processor, I would look between the 2400+ and 2800+ models, though the 2500+ is nice as well.

The 2500 barton is well worth it, especially in a CAD environment...I'm sure the 512k of L2 cache is going to help out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom