AMD and Sony Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZcomputergeek

Solid State Member
Ok, my Dad and I use Sony Vegas 8 for video editing.

Currently, we have this system that I built for ~$1000 using a bunch of stuff from Newegg.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @3.0GHz
EVGA nForce 680i SLI Mobo
2 GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800 RAM
MSI/nVidia 7300LE w/ 256 MB VRAM

And a couple of other things that don't have much to do with my question.

We want to go 64-bit when [possibly before] 64-bit Vegas is released. We also want to build a new system so we can have 2 workstations.

Anyway, back when I built this all I knew was Intel and nVidia. Since then, I have heard a lot of good things about AMD and ATI.

My question is, for Vegas and 64-bit computing (we'll use Vista Ultimate 64), should I stay with Intel or go with AMD, and if so Athlon, Phenom for Opteron, etc. I know its easier to overclock AMDs and they are a lot cheaper.

Also, we would like to go Quad core for faster rendering.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
Chris

i would say stick with an intel quad, they are faster clock-per-clock then any amd quad

and if you're going to overclock go with a q6600 or q6700....unless your budget can permit an extreme series quad, which doesn't have a good price:performance ratio

get a q660 and a dfi dk x48 with your new build
and then get a pair of hd 4850 or hd 4870.

Get a Q6600 because AMD is losing the CPU War right now...

You'll notice quite the performance jump, also you could also overclock it and it'll be good...

Hitmanj, why would he need a HD 4850 or so? he doesn't game...

You could get a GTX 260 or 280 because they can also render, but they are pricey

he wants so,mething simple to over clock man the dfi x48 are one of the hardest boards to oc, if he wants ease of use. get either a rampage formula or a x38 maximus formula. definatly the easiest mother board to over clock any of its owners will agree with me, i love mine for its simplesness.

That is true though... DFI have good clocking options... but for the new people they probably couldn't find it even if they knew which settings to do on a normal board..

Hey, guys.

Thanks a million.

Oh, by the way, I do a bit of gaming, not anything really hardcore, just BF2 and such. That was my bad though, I forgot to specify that.

But I will need a good graphics card cuz we eventually want to hook an HDTV up to it...

So Radeon HD is better than Geforce? What about price?

One more question, (its probably a dumb one), is DFI a brand or what?

Again, thanks a whole bunch,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom