external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyder23

Beta member
Hi, I have a question. I have a Western Digital external hard drive and this morning I was plugging in my laptop and hard drive when I screwed up and plugged the laptop power cord into the hard drive instead of the hard drive cord. It wasn't but a couple of seconds until I realized what I had done and unplugged it. Well both lights started flashing on the hd and I knew I had probably messed it up. The hd power cord is 12 volts and the laptop is 19 volts. I went ahead and took out the hard drive from the case and my question is, do you guys think I've actually damaged the hard drive itself or should I be able to buy another case and use it? I'm really upset because I have so much important stuff on there that I haven't gotten around to backing up yet so I'm hoping the hard drive itself is still good. What do you guys think?

Most like and you're not goin to like hearing this, but looks to me you've fried it...A hard uses 12 volt and I'm pretty sure you don't have a fuse or power filter on the case; so most likly you gave th HD a jolt of good old 19 volts. Or yuo can test the HD driver another computer some where some how to see if it boots or at least get recognized in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom