Hmm worth it too upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Hey everyone long time no see, I'm very satisfied with my build ( its a few months away shy from being a year old ) and it hasnt given me any hardware problems yet. The one bottleneck I always thought my system has though if I have to pick one is that it only has 2 gigs of ram. G.skill PC6400, then I saw this crazy newegg deal and was wondering:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

is it really worth it to upgrade to this? I mean Im on 32bit XP so at most the OS will recognize 3 gigs + 256 mb? ( my video card has 768 mb ), also is the added mhz really that much faster? Since I'm OCed to 333 FSB, the ram would be at 533 mhz and since I'm not going to OC the processor anymore as of now, I'll never achieve the 1:1 ratio anyways. Any potential compatability problems? Who thinks its worth it for 90 bucks?

^thats wouldn't give you much of a performance boost, almost all games will run just as well with 2gbs of ram as with 4gbs (the difference would not be noticable)

^thats wouldn't give you much of a performance boost, almost all games will run just as well with 2gbs of ram as with 4gbs (the difference would not be noticable)

Yeah I kinda figured that too, however did you consider the fact that it runs at 1066 mhz instead of my current ones running at 800 mhz? ( I don't like to OC Ram ). Still not much of a boost?

It still would probably be barely noticeable if even. Also consider if you are not going to oc then those will be the same speed as you old ones or even slower as the timings are higher. Timings are more important then mhz.

It still would probably be barely noticeable if even. Also consider if you are not going to oc then those will be the same speed as you old ones or even slower as the timings are higher. Timings are more important then mhz.

really I heard for Intel systems the mhz was more important and timings were more important for athlon systems, any truth to any of this? ( forgot who said it, but it was someone on these forums )

why in the world would the ram mhz and timings effect the cpu (other then overclocking and that has nothing to do with only amd or only intel)

why in the world would the ram mhz and timings effect the cpu (other then overclocking and that has nothing to do with only amd or only intel)

um...what? I thought it does ( in terms of efficiency )? anyone shed some light on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom