Running a 300 W power supply with a BFG 9600 GT OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtumble2

In Runtime
The video card says it needs 26A .. The power box says 19A max on the 12V rail.. Should I upgrade my power supply or not? I've played cod4 for about a week now and it hasnt died on me..but I'm running 4gb ram with 2 cd drives..

So I was looking on newegg and a 750 W Corsair power supply is $130. Should I go with that or should I get something else?

I appreciate the comments. Thanks

You could get a Corsair 650tx or depending on the rest of your rig, you can get away with a Corsair 550vx

Get the cheapest 9600gt instead of a Superclocked one.. those are just used to trick noobs who have never heard of ATiTool (you can manually overclock a reference card to the 9600gt OC's speeds)

You should upgrade your power supply since it is well below the graphics cards requirements. A Corsair 450vx should run your system without a problem but to be sure what cpu are you running?

^^ Ahh Yes..

I thought when I saw the Corsair 550vx was $70 on Newegg I thought the Corsair 450vx's price didn't change.. then I pulled it up after seeing your post and its $60.. thats a lot of PSU for $60

My cpu is only a AMD 64 4200 2.2ghz dual core..

The only reason i got the bfg oc is because its got a lifetime warranty after registration. It's nice because I've been out about $300 in video cards. I had an old ATI 9550 agp that crapped out on me in COD 1. yep, cod1..pretty bad for a 256mb.. and an old ati 128 that went out. That was a long time ago..

Anyway, I have 4gb of ram, only running somewhere in the 400mhz range..crumy but thats all my hp stock motherboard (asus) supports. So.. should I really only get around a 550 W or whatever? I'm sure thats fine, but the 26A or 96w by from just the vid card is pretty hefty.. but thats cool.

Anyhow, thanks a ton for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom