Computer doesnt want to start up it seems, green light on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkskeleton

Solid State Member
Hey guys, recently my motherboard was owned by a thunderstorm thanks to my lack of a surge protector so I ordered a new one, and installed it today.

After putting all the pieces back in (Video Card, Processesor, Ram, Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Fans, Case - Mobo Pin thingies, etc) and turn on the power supply the green light at the bottom of my motherboard turns on, which seems to be a good thing. However, when I try to boot up using the power button it either does nothing or for a split second the fans (including cpu fan) spin, but then stop as if not recieving power.

At first I thought that I must have put the pins in wrong, but I checked multiple times and they seem to be in the right places. Any idea what might be the problem?

PSU is bad. almost defiantly same thing was happeneing to me and i had to get another

The PSU is brand new and it seemed to work for the other motherboard, with the exception that none of the I/O devices (Monitor, etc) were working thanks to the mobo being fried. I don't think thats it, I could try putting my other PSU in but i doubt it will change anything. I'll try it though.

brand new since after the lightning strike? because if not then it probably was hit and killed

and if its new you still might want to run to a circuitcity/bestbuy/computershop and get a PSU tester for like 12 bucks and it will tell you for certain. i have pulled brand new components out of a box to find them broken or dead from the factory

I bought the PSU after the lightning strike because I figured that was the original problem, turned out that it was the MOBO that fried which is why I had to order a new one.

BTW I got done testing the old PSU, it had the same results although it lasted about a half second longer, my guess is that something is plugged in wrong but i have no clue where it could be. (And I really doubt that there both broken, especially from the same problem)

Just to be sure I put back the old CPU in and now for some magical reason it turned on fine. I guess it was a busted PSU, sry for doubting. Now hopefully, i can return in (I think the warrenty is still valid)

EDIT: Ok now things are a bit wierd, it seemed to be working (my old PSU) when my MOBO was out of the case, but now that i've put the PSU and the mobo back in it kinda turns on but only one fan and a couple LED lights turn on for a split second. I dont think i screwed up putting them back in, I Might have... I'm going to test the New (and possibly broken) PSU outside of the case with the mobo outside as well and see what happens.

EDIT EDIT: Ok i pinned down the REAL problem, neither PSU are broken.... my video card wasnt in place properly LOL I fail /facepalm ^^.

Hello,

Glad you got it sorted. We have all made mistakes like that before. So dont feel bad. I had a issue like that just today. Installed a WiFi card and tightened it down. In doing so it lifted from the slot and did not connect right. Had to undo the screw.

Goes to show you that even the best of us do it at times.

Cheers,
Mak

The only thing that changed, when you made the test out of the case and worked, is that you installed back in the case, so, i'll look for a short (mobo to the case) maybe a screw is in the wrong place?:eek:
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom