Don't suppose this is possible, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Well, I got bored today, and I decided to take apart one of my old PS/2 keyboards. Got it down to just the contacts/rubber cover for the keys to make contact with the plastic sheets w/ contacts. So, I figured I'd try to make a normal keyboard out of it (without the plastic keys, anyway).

I still have to attach the controller card to the sheets/make sure it stays in touch with some contacts that are on the sheets. That shouldn't be too difficult. Now my real question... I was wondering if its possible to snip off the PS/2 end, and splice on a USB end? I've tried searching Google, but I couldn't really find anything. I looked at some wiring pinouts, and it doesn't seem like it wouldnt work (to me, anyway): Pinout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would it work, or am I just in a pipe dream. Was wondering because if it'd work, I'd just take it along with me in my laptop bag, as thing usb keyboard.

No I don't want to buy a thin usb keyboard, just wanted to see if it was possible to splice the 2 ends together.

Edit: Well, never mind. Just tried hooking it up to a computer with the PS/2 end, and it doesn't work lol. Oh well, xD.

Man you must be bored. I have no Idea what you are trying to accomplish but.....no you can't wire a usb to ps2. Circuitry and function are different. And why do that anyway.....it's called a PS2 to USB connector!!!!! I'm scratchin' my head dude.

Newegg.com - Link Depot USB-PS2 USB to PS/2 Convertor - Adapters & Gender Changers

Just wanted to know if it was possible, lol. What I was trying to accomplish was just take off the casing of the keyboard and use the bare internals (flexible/thin keyboard). Why? Just because I can. Was an old keyboard that I had laying around, so if it didn't work (which it didn't, but I may try to see what I did wrong later), I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I had to toss it out. And since my laptop doesn't have a ps/2 input, I was going to see if I could just splice on a USB end, and put it in my laptop case.

I took pics of it already, lol, but the keys sadly don't work. Windows recognizes there's a keyboard, just too bad the keys aren't working for some reason. Hopefully I'll get it to work somehow when I come back from my vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom