Computer restarting when it feels like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime
god im so ****ing ****ed my computer reboots when it wants to right in the middle of me doing something....... i am an audio engineer and this is like the 5-6th time ive lost a session halfway through being recorded... the computer does not have internet and is not commected to any other computer. the only thing on the PC is windows and my recording program. not overheating. no spike or lul in voltage. i really am at wits end i cant just keep letting this happen to clients and i cant afford a new box right now

specs
asus p4s800dx
intel 3.2 p4
500w micro center brand PSU
1GB corsair ram
200GB WD HDD
160GB WD HDD
xp sp2
no internet

Does it just reboot with no error message? Or does it give you a BSOD?

Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > under 'Startup and Recovery' click Settings > under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically restart'. > Click OK on all dialog boxes.

If it does it again, and you get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) then give us:
The words in all caps on the top of the screen (something like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, not necessarily that, but that's an example);
and the STOP code, which is formatted like this: 0x000000##, where ## = some numbers/letters.

You could also try a spare power supply and see if that is the culprit. Are you sure its not heat issues? Have you checked what the CPU temps are?

i dont get any error codes or blue screens it acts as if power was cut then boots normal

working along......| black screen | asus |windows xp | fully booted no error message

cpu temps are around 100f (sorry im C retarded:))

Do you have the Automatically Restart option disabled, like I showed you how to, and it doesn't give you a BSOD? Or ti doesn't give you a BSOD and you haven't disabled that option?

You could also look trough the event logs (Start > run > type 'eventvwr.msc' without the quotes). Look under the section called 'System' and look to see if there's any references about Memory dumps, dump logs, etc.

Right click my computer / manage / Event viewer / and click on the application and system log files. Are there any errors occuring on a regular basis? if so tell us

Symptoms look as though its over heating. Open up your case and clean it out, get rid of all dust, specially in the CPU fan block.

download this
CPUID

And report your temps after all of that.

How old are all of the components? I used to have a laptop with this problem and it was caused by the HDD magnets failing.

i dont get any error codes or blue screens it acts as if power was cut then boots normal

working along......| black screen | asus |windows xp | fully booted no error message

cpu temps are around 100f (sorry im C retarded:))

Hello,

That isnt good. That is a high temp. My GPU is at 65 under load. My CPU doesnt hit higher than 70. My case inside is no more than 75 at all times. If your CPU is hitting that high a temp that is part of the problem.

Cheers,
Mak

i disabled the auto restart thing but it hasnt done anything (like die) yet... ill give it a day or two

yeah sorry thats F not C lol

**** so it just BSOD

0x00000050
0x8B08877E
0x00000000
0x80572BE7
0x00000000

so this is what im pulling... going to run through google but figured id throw them up here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom