DVD Drive connection to Power supply broke.. where can i get a new 4 pronged one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optional

Baseband Member
I don't even know what I'm looking for.. the name of it rather..

The connection from my power supply to my dvdrw looked like.. a rectangle with outlets for 4 prongs, on BOTH sides. The connection for it is 4 prongs on my PS and my dvdrw. Anyone know where I can go out and buy a new one of these?

If not I don't really mind buying a new drive all together, as long as it has that type of connection..

also question: if i buy a blueray drive will it still be able to install games that are on dvd's and what not?

tutorial-4pin_molex_power_conn.jpg

something like that?
if it is, then there should be more from your PSU, usually there's like 5 or 6 because that connector is what powers optical drives and hard drives.

and if you buy a blu-ray drive, make sure that it isn't only blu-ray and is also a dvd/cd writer, which i assume 99.9% of all blu-ray drives are. so yes.

It looks something like that. however the wires in my PC are very limited, I only have what i need in there. My hard drive does not need one of those,, actually nothing does. I cut the wire by accident (long story) and I need a new one..

Do you know the name of what you just showed me and if one of those will come with a new drive i buy? with the outlets on both ends, not prongs

edit:

Cables To Go 6-Inch 5.25 Internal Power Y-Cable 03166 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

will something like that work? thing is, I don't need the middle part, but will that stop it from working? Or can i just use the two ends to connect my dvdrw to my PS?

well you need to be able to get power to it from the PSU. You need to get a converter. Do you have any excess cables from your psu that you aren't using?

Are you saying your power supply has a male 4 pin socket just like your cd drive and you only have one cable with 2 female ends that goes from power supply to cd drive?

I've only ever seen hard wired power supplies.

Hello,

You will need a splitter piece. This will use a current molex and give you a split plugin to use for the drive.

It will look like this:

cable_6inch_internal_power_y_molex_cable.jpg

This will allow you to take a current molex from one of your other devices and split it to the 2 devices.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom