computer doesn't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

clryan

Beta member
So, I decided to try building my own computer. I put it all together, but then when I went to start it up, it wouldnt POST. I've tried unplugging everything but the cpu, video card, and ram, but it still wont work. I tried putting in a different video card as well as pulling out everything and putting it back in, just in case I put it in properly the first time.

It does not seem to be a power issue since the cpu fan and video card fan both run and it seems to start up. However, the monitor remains blank upon start up.

Here's the specs:
MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX AM+2
AMD Phenom 9850 2.5Ghz Quad-core
Zalman 9700LED
1Gx2 PNY 1066 DDR2
Zotac ZT-96TES3P-FSP 9600GT
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
Western Digital 500GB HD (SATA)
Samsung DVD Burner SATA
Sony DVD-ROM SATA

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance :)

Make sure you have the RAM seated correctly; I've done this on a build I did, and it took me forever to find out the RAM wasn't in right. Embarassed myself on that one lol. You could also try clearing CMOS. Unplug the comptuer from the wall, press the power button a few times to drain stored power in the PSU, and then remove the small button battery on the motherboard. You may want to check your mobo manual as well, to see if you have to jumper a set of pins together to clear CMOS, as well as removing the battery.

Also try unplugging all your USB products if any are indeed plugged into your computer. This has caused more than strange problems for people before, not certain if no post is a typical problem from this, but I think I have seen it happen before, no post, nothing but an blinking underscore.

Thanks for the advice.

I tried resetting the CMOS, removing the battery, and taking out/putting back in the RAM so many times that I lost count. I even tried putting it in different slots, only having one in, having both in, etc. Unfortunately it still will not post :(

Should I assume that a part is bad? And, if so, which part is most likely the culprit?

I'm thinking that it is, most likely, the RAM, but I'm not exactly an expert so please correct me if I am off-base. If I do return the RAM, I think I am going to request a refund for it (if possible) and purchase new RAM from a different company. If I do this, does anyone have any recommendations for RAM?

Thanks again :)

Well, if possible, try RAM from a different computer (compatible RAM, mind you :p). If that doesn't work, then I'd have to say either CPU or motherboard.

Have you considered buying a POST card? Have you heard of one? For a nominal amount of $ you can get one (I think Radio Shack and maybe Best Buy has 'em, probably Newegg ).

They will fit into a PCI slot (not PCI-x). Doesn't even matter which one, just an unused one. It has a digital numeral readout that will increment like crazy as all the devices are checked during the POST test.

If there is a problem, it will stop incrementing and give a number that you can look up in its accompanying manual, (I think). Mike Myers says they are easy to find, not extremely expensive, and is what he uses when all else fails. Haven't tried one myself, but am going to get one though, and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom