My Build: Need some suggestions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycztom

Beta member
Hey guys, i'm about to build my new gaming pc and I was looking for some tips and suggestions. Hope you guys can help me out with this..

Q6600 2.4 ghz
EVGA 680i SLI Ready
OCZ 2.0 ghz DDR2 RAM
(2) XFX 8800 GT Zalman ED. 512mb
OCZ PSU 1000W

That's curently my build, and I had a few questions about it.
1. Do I need the 1000W PSU for the two vid cards running in SLI or can I settle for 850W?
2. Do you think I will need an aftermarket heatsink fan? I see a lot of people buying them for their computers.

Hope you guys can throw some suggestions and tips to me. Appreciate it!

Are you building this yourself?

If so then go with

Q6600
EVGA 750i FTW
2x1Gb of g.skill, super talent DDR2-800
2 of whatever the cheapest 8800GT's are
Corsair 650tx,Xigmatek 650w, PCP&C 610 silencer

If you are overclocking which i highly consider you do, yes you will need an aftermarket fan. Look at the Xigmatek HD S1283 fan

You would be able to settle with 550watt psu. Watts aren't that important, its the amount of amp's on the +12v rails. If you have enough amps then you are almost guaranteed to have enough watts to run whatever it is you want to run. Most people only look at Watts and disregard the brand and other things that are just as important.

@ alexsabree: thanks for responding alex, does this PSU have sufficient amount of amps to run 2 video cards? Newegg.com - OCZ OCZ1000PXS 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V cUL, CB, CE, FCC, TUV - Power Supplies

also.. i just heard from a friend that the 8800gt video cards are rather large including the fans, will two of them fit on the mother board that i was planning on purchasing? i believe the mother board has 2 pci x16 and 2 pci 1x slots

that psu is overkill...im building a very similar rig for a friend with a quad core and 2 hd4850's.

I'm using the Xigmatek 650w. However a Corsair 550VX is enough even really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom