My Build: Need Suggestions and input

Status
Not open for further replies.

rook9566

Solid State Member
OK guys, I am not new at building my own rig, but in the past I just bought components based on price and performance. I never looked at the picture as a whole, like will I be over-clocking or SLI or system cooling.

Basically I am a mid-level gamer. I play Half-life 2 and some other shooters and strategy games like the Total War series. I don't buy every game that comes out.

Right now I am not sure about over-clocking. I have always been afraid I'd burn up my system. But, from what I read its a lot easier now. So, I'd like my system to have some over-clocking capability should I so be inclined.

As far as SLI and Crossfire. I need to read up more on it. Is it a gimmic? Is it necessary for a mid-level system?

I'd like to keep the price below $1000. I don't need a monitor now, so that will save me some cash.

Here's some components I picked from the recommended build thread. I need help on choosing a motherboard, but also let me know what you all think. Did I make any errors in choosing the components? I tried to use customer satisfaction as my guide. Any compatibility issues? I appreciate your MoBo suggestions and any other ideas you may have.

Graphics Card
EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

PSU
Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick - Retail

HD
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CPU COOLER
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Case
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR USING THE RECOMMENDED PARTS GUIDE!!!

nobody ever looks at that.. thanks for using it!!!

first question i would have is what size monitor are you gaming on, or what size monitor do you plan to game on.

secondly, sli/crossfire aren't gimmicks, but they are a bit of a waste for the average user. They really only come into their own on high res systems (1900x1200 and higher resolution) Also I would recommend a Xigmatek Rifle for the cooler, its a lot better then the apf7 and there isn't much of a price difference, and the xigmatek rifle is in my opinion the best cooler for the money.
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

This board is solid and will last a while, will go well with the q6600 and we've recommended this model board for a while, so you can't go wrong with it. also its pretty cheap so thats a bonus.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

also i assume you have a cd/dvd drive that you're going to pull from your last system.

also i would recommend this HDD
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
its extremely fast (almost as fast as a raptor) and is extremely cheap.

keep firing out questions if you have them!

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That cooler cools just as well as the Xigmatek and AF7 and is a good bit cheaper.
That is IMo the best cooler for the money

Surge who is that NZXT PSU's OEM?

the xigmatek rivals the TRUE for cooling ability.
Vendetta 2 vs TRUE vs HDT-S1283 | Thremalright Ultra 120 eXtreme,OCZ Vendetta 2,Xigmatek HDT-S1283,best cpu cooler,OCZVEND2,Best of the best cpu coolers: Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme vs Xigmatek HDT-S1283 vs OCZ Vendetta 2 OCZVEND2 performance test

in that the xigmatek is around 1-2C warmer then the OCZ Vendetta2 and TRUE120

OK guys,

I had a small emergency that has taken my time up lately, but I am ready to build my system.

Thanks for all the comments. I have updated my build, but I have a few questions.

MoBo
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card
EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

PSU
NZXT PS-NT-PP600-R 600W ATX / BTX Power Supply 115/ 230 V CB, CE, FCC, TUV, cUL, RoHS

HDD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CPU COOLER
Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

Case
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I completely forgot about the RAM... Recommendations?

Is the 8800 the best choice, or can i do better and stay in budget?

Let me know if this build is solid? I am drooling over Total War - Empire due out soon, and I want my rig to play with all settings maxed.

Thanks for your knowledge guys, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom