computer building

Status
Not open for further replies.

brr077

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm planning on building a computer from scratch. I've worked with hardware before but never built a full computer. I was hoping some people could take a look at the hardware list and ensure everything will work together (and that everything is worth buying) and see if there are any likely problems that will arise from this setup

Case: Mid tower ATX, two 120 mm fans
PSU: Newegg.com - Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies
Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI Socket 775 ATX MB w/SND Asus PB-VEGAS2 P5N-E SLI
Video card: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
HD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
RAM: Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also im sure you all get this way too much, but how will it run Crysis? And could the power supply handle a second superclocked 8800GT?

That PSU is an unknown brand name and you've been fooled by the wattage (which doesn't matter)

Outdated CPU: I recommend a e7200 instead with a EP35-DS3L instead (unless you're dead set on SLi, which isn't worth it anyways)

Get a PC Power and Cooling s610 instead

Don't get a "Superclocked" card its used to trick noobs who have never overclocked a card, its a lot easier than people think, and just use that card as a reference to overclock your own card with ATiTool

Will their be a performance difference in the computer depending on which motherboard I chose? I'm thoroughly clueless about mobos....

For a mobo you should probably look at a P35 or P45 board unless you have to have SLI. The 650i is a SLI board and a decent overclocker but not as good as a P31/P35/P43/P45/750i

But what does not as good mean? noticeable drop in FPS? You'll have to excuse my ignorance in these matters...

There is no difference performance wise between different models of motherboards. Its just that some motherboards have better overclocking capability and allow you to use more than one Graphics card. If you are not going to use more than one Graphics card. I would recommend a Gigabyte EP-35 DS3L. Its around $90 and overclocks beautifully.

Psu's are the hardest to shop for, because you have to know which brands are good and what to look for.

I would recommend either one of these two PSU's
Newegg.com - XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 600W ATX12V Power Supply 100-240V / 200-240V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 500W ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240V/ 200 - 240V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Power Supplies

And if you want to learn about how to grade different type of psu's:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/power-supplies-125763/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/updated-power-supply-guide-137927/

This is what I would recommend buying:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
Processor: Intel E7200 or Q6600 (whichever your budget allows)
Graphics Card: ATI HD4850 or HD4870
RAM: A-DATA, I have them and they work great.
PSU: Corsair 520HX or one of the XCLIO psu's I linked to.
Case: Whichever case you think looks the coolest, and is in your budget.

According to those reviews its quite loud...

also there are no specs given for that.. so I don't know whether to say anything good or bad about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom