RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekgnr

Baseband Member
I just got an A8V-E SE motherboard and when I booted up I got 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. So I searched and found that it could be the ram. So I put the ram in slot 3 and it worked. I now have both 3 and 4 slots working. I tried slots 1 and 2 one at a time and the computer won't boot up. The first slots I tried were 1 and 3 to get dual channel. I have the latest BIOS update which is 1010. So is there something I can do to fix this or are those slots no good?

What kind of ram do you have??

From looking at your motherboard manual it looks like this motherboard doesn't like Double Sided ram. Most of the double sided ram on the spec sheet can only run in single-channel memory configuration.

Here's my RAM.

MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader

It works fine in slot 3 and 4. But it will not boot up in slot 1 or 2. The board I had before was similar and it worked. It was an A8V-E Deluxe. The BIOS was updated before I got it. I put in a new CMOS battery when I got it. Could that have something to do with it?

Different mobo's are different, some skip a slot for dual-channel usage, some use adjacent ones. Most of the time, they will have same colors like 2 blues and 2 whites sometimes not.

Yeah mine has 2 blues which is for dual channel. That's what I had it on first but it didn't boot. Those first 2 slots are recognized in software programs cause they say it's emtpy.

I don't think changing the CMOS battery would change your BIOS at all, that is stored on system bios chip on the board.

Different mobo's are different, some skip a slot for dual-channel usage, some use adjacent ones. Most of the time, they will have same colors like 2 blues and 2 whites sometimes not.

^^^^^That's why I said some mobo's skip a slot , i.e. 1 + 3, or 2+ 4 :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom