What is a computer nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
Here is a piece of an essay I have been writing for my composition class explaining the concept of a nerd. This paragraph is about the computer nerd, and I figured I'd post it up here ,and see what you guys think.

A computer nerd is one who spends a majority of their time with computers. They are a very opinionated form of the nerd, and tend to be die hard fans of certain hardware companies such as Intel, AMD, ATI, and Nvidia. Using hardware from any company except for the one of their choice would certainly be a sin. This nerd will argue Microsoft versus Apple to their grave, and anyone who stands in their way will be called a newb so fast their head will spin. It is extremely difficult to spot this nerd in public because their computer is all they need to survive. If something is not accessible in their immediate reach it can be ordered on the internet and shipped to their house, eliminating the need to go outside. Computer nerds often experience an illness similar to one that their sports minded, party animal counterparts endure, a hang over. Though a computer nerd's hang over is not the result after a great deal of alcohol. It is the consequence of prolonged exposure to the computer screen, and it is the computer nerd's worst enemy. It is said that if it wasn't for the eye burning, head splitting head aches of the computer hang over; these nerds could stay at their computers for twenty-four-hours a day, seven days a week with an adequate supply of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks.

I am a victim of the computer hang overs...

This nerd will argue Microsoft versus Apple to their grave

REAL nerds use LINUX! :D

It is extremely difficult to spot this nerd in public because their computer is all they need to survive.

If they are spotted in public, however, they will always have their laptop or PDA with them, as they cannot stand to be away from technology.

If they are spotted in public, however, they will always have their laptop or PDA with them, as they cannot stand to be away from technology.

I was going to say "you can't spot them in public because they're never in public; they're always in front of their computers" =P.

nerd_385x261.jpg

Every time I think of computer nerd, I get the mental image of some one that have thick glasses and have a fashion sense that his/her mother still dresses him/her in the morning.

Computer geeks tend to have a little or a lot more fashion sense than a computer nerd.

Computer nerds tend to take pride in the fact that they still can find a use for that old Pentium 100 that you are about to throw out. To them, this most likely going to be an upgrade to what they currently have. However in Nerd defence, the fact that they have kepted that old 486 running as long as they did is an achievement in itself.
Where as a computer geek will most likely be making ure that they have the latest and greatest computer.

Nerd are more likely to be using linux and various other Free-BSD software. Where as geeks tend are more likely to have that pirated copy of Windows Ultimate.

Every time I think of computer nerd, I get the mental image of some one that have thick glasses and have a fashion sense that his/her mother still dresses him/her in the morning.

Computer geeks tend to have a little or a lot more fashion sense than a computer nerd.

Computer nerds tend to take pride in the fact that they still can find a use for that old Pentium 100 that you are about to throw out. To them, this most likely going to be an upgrade to what they currently have. However in Nerd defence, the fact that they have kepted that old 486 running as long as they did is an achievement in itself.
Where as a computer geek will most likely be making ure that they have the latest and greatest computer.

Nerd are more likely to be using linux and various other Free-BSD software. Where as geeks tend are more likely to have that pirated copy of Windows Ultimate.

I agree with you totally Harper, as do many of my friends, although indirectly since they haven't read what you said, but they share the same ideals =]

Well if a composition of what defines a computer nerd is sought out, then presumably the most logical approach is to look at the separates. A nerd, as defined by dictionary.com, is "an intelligent, single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby". However, the definition of computer has become manipulated in the modern world of instant communication that simply stating it as an electronic device designed for processing data lacks a vague essence. Thus, categorizing a computer nerd as a hardware enthusiast/gamer who survives on energy drinks is wrong, but the theory has its truths. Yes, a computer nerd is one who is obsessed with a hobby - computers are quite expensive to maintain; unfortunately computers are social instruments. Nowadays, they are designed for quick information sharing - a hardware enthusiast may browse a tech forum for advice or a gamer joining a server to test his skills. Hardly nonsocial if some sort of human communication arises. So, the evolution of the term computer nerd to computer geek (the more appropriate guise of the common generalization) is evident with the boom of telecommunications and processing breakthroughs within recent years. In the end, what is a computer nerd? Perhaps the only group remaining of the rare breed is the pure cyber-hacker. Nonsocial to stay hidden and obsessed to stay rebellious. Regardless of the irony to classify a hacker, we are all just computer geeks.

im a geek who cannot live without a computer to be honest. I know the basics of a computer n love computer parts, n my folks dont understand how i feel about a computer.

off topic:

Had 3 computer problems total, right now i believe my mobo is infected n i have to try to exchange it with a new one, but my dad says no n pay some stupid guy to diagnostic it. WTF? Obviously my folks dont trust me with computer anymore n i keep telling them that everyone makes mistakes, it's called learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom