Help please! Mouse stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhrost0213

Beta member
I was playing a video game, and when I exited it, my computer gave the blue screen of death (dumping physical memory), so I restarted it. When I restarted it my mouse wasn't working, so I plugged it into a USB slot instead of my PS/2 and It turned on, installed the driver, and still it didn't show on my screen. I went to the store and bought a new mouse, and it gives the red LED but still doesn't show up. Both of these work fine on my laptop. I'm running Vista 32-bit, and I have no idea howto fix this. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Did you install drivers for the new mouse, or use the generic one included in the OS? The reason I ask, is I wondered if you tried reinstalling the original driver for the old mouse.

If it was corrupt (these things happen at times), then using the same driver for the new mouse, I would imagine do the same. But if you installed a new driver for the new mouse and it still didn't work, then I can't imagine the solution.

I know you said you got the mouse to work on another machine, so it obviously isn't the mouse itself. Hmmmm :confused:

Uhhh, Vista.... had problems with Vista, went back to XP. Not everyone does, though. Probably someone here can help you, I am perplexed when it comes to dealing with the UAC in Vista until I can learn more about it.

Hello,

Have you installed any updated Chipset drivers? On many new PC's those control hte update of the USB Drivers as well. Most likely you will have to navigate with your keyboard till you can get the new drivers installed.

Cheers,
Mak

Yes, I've got the latest update drivers. The computer recognizes it the mouse, but the pointer won't display on the screen. I guess trying to buy a version of XP would be best, it seems vista causes alot of problems.

Hello,

Before you take on that conquest. I would suggest you take a look at the PC manufacturer's site to make sure that XP drivers are available for your PC. A major problem coming up now is that most PC manufacturer's only give Vista as the OS option and do not provide XP Drivers anymore.

So you should check first to see if you have driver available. Also have you tried to use a Restore Point?

Cheers,
Mak

Sadly, I had a restore point on disc and can't find it anywhere, as well as my Vista backups, so I would have to buy a new copy. And yes, HP is the manufacturer and they offer XP, as far as I know.

Actually, under Device Manager, I don't have anything that says Mouse, nor Unknown. I reinstalled the driver for my Microsoft Optical mouse, nothing is different. But if I plug it into a USB slot, and install the driver automatically, it comes up with an error saying
HID-complaint device
An error occured during the installation of the device:

The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

I wasn't having any problems with this mouse until recently.

Also, when I plug my mouse into the PS/2 slot, it makes my keyboard stop responding as well. I'll give those recovery discs a try, thank you.

Sadly, I had a restore point on disc and can't find it anywhere, as well as my Vista backups, so I would have to buy a new copy. And yes, HP is the manufacturer and they offer XP, as far as I know.

If you do end up going back to XP, and buying a copy, you better hurry I think. Microsoft is ending XP sales on the 30th of this month. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom