Thermal Compund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noniy

In Runtime
I am afraid that the Thermal compound i have will damage my CPU.
Will it?

My CPU is Intel core 2 Quad Q6600.
My Thermal compound is Arctic cooler MX-2.

If it does not damage my CPU is it helpful to put on if i am only using air cooling.

And should i use my finger to spread it on or use something else?

Thanks
Noniy

Thats a great compound, but yea I do have the same question as you,

Glad you asked it.

Yes, you should use thermal paste. Especially with newer CPUs like the one you have. As for that particular combination, I would think that would be ok, but you should probably check with the vendor whenever in doubt, would be my suggestion. Air cooling is absolutely necessary at the very least, but is ineffective if:

1. The ribbons are in the way too much. Obviously they can't be totally out of the way, but any unused cables such as a never- or seldom-used CD drive cable could be taken out. But if you do something like that, make sure you update settings in the CMOS settings if necessary, if it was a master, for example.

2. Supposedly if the expansion covers are removed, that will still allow airflow, but according to the Mike Myers text I had in school, he says you should have all unused slots covered to maximize airflow. Some people debate this, by saying they don't ever have a problem with overheating. You can be your own judge on that. Just wanted to say what I had heard.

just put a thin line across the chip and place the cooler down on it. the area of the cooler will spread it appropriately

You sure it when my system is finished and all and my cpu fan starts it will spread it?

I probly wont be done building my system for another 2 weeks. so should i wait till i get my other parts first? or put it on and spread it myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom