Alright Guys, Heres a challenge for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

wranglr88

Solid State Member
My last computer that i built was about 5 years ago, and I've only recently had the need to build another one. (Games were getting too advanced for my setup)
I've got a few questions about some of the new stuff out there, and I've got a rudimentary idea of what i want in a new system.
First, i'd like to use this processor:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

a GeForce 8800 GT 512mb (not sure on brand, since they've changed)

2x 1 GB DDR2 RAM
Running on WinXP. I dont have a clue which mobo would work on this setup, so any advice you guys have got would be awesome!
As you can tell, i've got quite a budget, ($500-600$), but i already have a case, hard drive, cdrom, and floppy (anybody even use those anymore:D).
Think i might need a PSU greater than 500W?
thanks for your input!!!!

Why use that X2 6000+, its a real power sucker, I'd recommend the 5000+ Black Edition if you want to go AMD

or an Intel e7200 instead (which is faster than both) (for the e7200 I recommend a Biostar Tpower p45 or Asus P5Q Pro (or -e)

as for a good board, check out a 780a board (if thats too pricey theres a good 790fx board which supports Crossfire)

I don't recommend the 8800gt 512mb anymore because of the fact is that the HD 4850 is faster than it and performs like a 9800gtx and about the same price

Wattage isn't all that matters on a Power Supply, you check the amperage on the 12 volt rail, the PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer is really good for $90 (after MIR)

you think there would be any significant processing power between the 5000+ Black and the 125W 6000? also, the L2 cache is 2x 1MB on the 6000, and only 2x 512 on the 5000. is that going to make any sort of noticeable difference? I'm not going to be doing any seriously intense gaming, but i dont want to sacrifice more than i have too. I'd like to stick with AMD though, since i've always had good luck with them.
I'm not too familiar with crossfire though. whats the scoop on that?

Why use that X2 6000+, its a real power sucker, I'd recommend the 5000+ Black Edition if you want to go AMD

or an Intel e7200 instead (which is faster than both) (for the e7200 I recommend a Biostar Tpower p45 or Asus P5Q Pro (or -e)

as for a good board, check out a 780a board (if thats too pricey theres a good 790fx board which supports Crossfire)

I don't recommend the 8800gt 512mb anymore because of the fact is that the HD 4850 is faster than it and performs like a 9800gtx and about the same price

Wattage isn't all that matters on a Power Supply, you check the amperage on the 12 volt rail, the PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer is really good for $90 (after MIR)

the 9800gtx is better overall. alot of games are developed for nvidia cards a optimized better, atm nvidia 9800gtx is one of the nest options.

gtx280 = waste, 9800gx2 performs better and cost less, even though dual gpu is not best still cheaper and better perf.

The 9800gtx is still expensive, the 4850 performs better in alot of places and is consistently $200. And this is on release, so it can really only get better with drivers and such.

Only 9800gtx for $200 (exactly) is the eVGA SuperClocked KO Version for $200 after MIR, but I don't trust those

ok, i think $500 for a graphics card is a bit out of my budget, since that is my ENTIRE budget, so i'm thinking something along the lines of around $200, and i saw that the 8800 GT was reasonably priced. but that coupled with the amd 5000+ black edition, plus 2gb ram, you think that would be adequate for moderate gaming use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom