Major system help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Baseband Member
Hi, I am new here. I have been thinking of upgrading my system that I currently have. I was wondering how much trouble this would be...I would want the following
1.) A new AMD processor but if this is too much of a hassle I can stick with my current
2.) A new case
3.) A new motherboard AMD compadable if I get an AMD processor

My current system is in my signature. Its a Dell dimension 4600, and everywhere I ask there is NO upgradable case you can buy for it because dell makes the motherboard and it has weird dimensions or something I think. Also I would like to be able to overclock my CPU but my Dell system doesnt "allow" this. And the stock Dell case that I have has extreemly poor airflow and I have had to do this to get around it http://ee.domaindlx.com/goon/cooling.jpg the fan is blowing directly into the case, which helps ALOT I have overclocked my GPU ALOT farther when I put the fan on the "high" setting hehe. And I would also like to have some sensors! I have none at all, no fan sensors no CPU sensors no GPU sensors (depends on card I guess) and no voltage sensors or anything, which I think I can get with a new motherboard. And the cpu heatsink doesn't have a fan on it which I would like to have. Basically I just want to salvage what I can from my computer like memory and all and be able to build a new computer kind of.

-thanks if you can help out.

If your getting a new case/motherboard/cpu it should be pretty easy. Make sure you have a good enough power supply.

well I'm not so sure about a new CPU yet I'll probably keep my current one, my main concern is getting a motherboard to suit my RAM and my processor, anyone know of any that would be good? I don't know much about mobos
thanks

the only things you need to replace in that computer to make it, well, not a dell, would be the case and the motherboard. For intel, make sure you get an Nforce2 Ultra mobo, companies like Asus A7N8X Deluxe, or the DFI boards are exellent. You dont need a new cpu.

I agree, heres a response I got somewhere else:
Okay finally somone who realizes how horrible dell is. They dont even conform to the atx standard.

K so you have to get a new case a new mobo and a new cpu fan.

Your cpu ram and video are still excellent. a new processor isnt worth the money right now. and the 2.8 p4 is still faster than the athlon XP in most circumstances.

mobo suggestions shuttle, msi, anything but asus. MSI is the best. The Neo is probably pretty good.

Your computer is still nice though. Only slower than ones with latest video cards.

You're going to need a new powersupply also because dell psu's use less power and won't work with a new mobo. I'm not sure if that happens anymore because I found that out using an older dell XPS R400 system.

mobo suggestions shuttle, msi, anything but asus. MSI is the best. The Neo is probably pretty good.

well, the Asus boards are pretty amazing in my POV. The A7N8X Deluxe Series are among the top sellers for AMD and Intel.

Thats just my $.02

Joe said:

Whats wrong with Asus? Try not to mix facts with opinions.

Someone recommend that to me on another forum where I posted this topic. Thanks for the info guys, can you recommend a mobo for me? Keep in mind of my ram and processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom