Thinking of geting this from a local seller. Few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnowNothinger

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of getting the following from a local seller:

AMD Phenom quad-core processor 9600 2.30GHz, 2MB L3 Cache, 3600MHz System Bus

2x1024MB modules & 2x512MB modules 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive 2x500GB hard drives Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 16MB cache

Optical Drive Hybrid Blu-Ray/HD DVD Player and SuperMulti Format DVD-RW DL Drive

ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB Discrete Video Memory with Dual DVI, S-Video and HDMI Supported

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Analog/digital TV tuner with 3D comb filter and PVR (personal video recorder)

Audio 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio

*Sorry I don't know motherboard/psu/case/brand names

Few questions.

1.Idk much about the AMD processors. Is it safe to assume that's it equal to Intel c2q 2.3ghz?

2. I know the ATI Radeon HD 2400XT isn't the best for gameing but will it run 95% of the newer games? Its low ram but its DDR3 if that matters.

3. How much would you think it would normally go for?
(I did google most of the items I think I'm getting a fair deal on it)

4. On a scale 1 to 10 what would you rate it?
(I know its hard to rate/price it with out knowing more info)

1. Intel is faster than AMD right now.

2. That video card will not run the newer games well.

3. I don't know.

4. 6/10

2x1024MB modules & 2x512MB modules... why are you buying 2 sets of ram like this??

So what would the amd be equal too?

ya kinda figured I'd need to get a better video card. But it should work for most of them. (rite?) on lower settings.

Idk its the way the ram is. (its all together)

I think the slowest Intel quad is the Q6600 which is 2.4GHz, so an AMD will probably need to be around 2.7-2.8Ghz to match it. I'm not 100%. However Intel is faster clock for clock speed for sure.

That cards is not suited for any of the newer games IMO, will probably work on the lowest settings.

The card would play games on low, but your probably better looking at something like a 8800gs which is cheap and good.

Also go with newegg if possible. Where are you?

If your gonna get ram only get the 2x1gig or get 4x1g/2x2g and a 64bit OS (for 4 gig+)

I would also look at a e7200 for Intel (dual core) or a q6600 (quad core)

Don't buy an Audio card unless you need it, Motherboards have good enough inbuilt.

Depending on where you live we could hook you up with a good system for the best price/performance. Just tell us what you need the system for and anything special you need (like a blue ray player etc.)

Don't think I'm going find a better deal. The guy was asking $900 but lowered it to $700 if traded in my old computer it's only worth $150-200.

Cpu = at lest $200
Ram = $60
Hd = $150
Cd rom = $150
Video card = $50
Mb/case/ect = $200 (probably less)
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) = 90

Total guess: 900 +/- 100

It is definitely worth $700, even the $900. If you plan on gaming you will want a better card, though. The 2400 is fine for a media center, but who would use a quad in a media center?

If you could get him to upgrade the vid card to something in the 8800 series you'd be a lot better off. Realistically this would only cost another $75 maybe? Then it would be an excellent gaming machine. The 2400xt will limit you to low settings on new games, it's just not fast enough.

The price, $700, seems real good, especially since you're getting Blu Ray.

Oh and I believe the Phenom you're getting is around 10% slower than a Q6600 but it's also around 20% cheaper so it kinda evens out. I doubt you'll notice any realistic performance difference but I don't know about your overclocking options since I'm not into that. OCing may not even matter to you, tho.

10% slower isn't bad.

Don't think he'll upgrade the video card with out charging full price for the new card but I can always upgrade it myself when needed. It should run all he games I own atm.

I'll pick it up some time tonight.

I talked to the guy (via phone) and he said he had a:

Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core *according to to jorsoft it's about 10% faster
500GB 7200 SATA II HD *1x500gb hd less (not a big issue)
Some kind of cd burner * Doesn't read the blu/hd (was kinda looking foreword to that)
NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT *256MB I think
Doesn't have a Analog/digital TV tuner *but don't think I'd use it much anyways.

The rest is basically the same.

for $600. *$100 less

Would the 8500gt be acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom