Moving from AMD to Intel. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
Looking to make the jump from my system in my sig to an intel setup. I was thinking of going with an E8400 as well as a 9800GTX card. Not sure what motherboard to go with as well as memory. Still thinking I should stick with 2 Gig. Will the memory I have work well with a new Intel setup or do I need to go the ddr3 route?

I know the E8400 has a FSB of 1333 so does this mean I need to get a mobo and memory with the same FSB capabilities?

Really what I'm looking for is recommendations for mobo, memory, and video card. Keeping in mind I do like to overclock so a board that does well in this area would be good.

As far as buget goes I am planning on spending $600 - $700... Any help is greatly appreciated.

a quality gigabyte ds3r would be fine. and don't go with ddr3 at this point, its a bit silly. just reuse the stuff you have now. and you should be able to use the ds3r with the 8400. and just keep the ram unlinked from the FSB and you'll be fine.

Well I personall recommend the 750i FTW mobo, a q6600 for future reference or an e8400, and the 9800gtx is good but I'm personally waiting for the 9800gtx+ to see if they are any good. ddr2 will be just fine and plenty fast for ure needs... I run 4gb of ddr2 800 crucial tracers.. all that should run a little under ure budget.. on my 750i with a q6600 I have benched at 3.921 so thats a decent overclock I think.

a quality gigabyte ds3r would be fine. and don't go with ddr3 at this point, its a bit silly. just reuse the stuff you have now. and you should be able to use the ds3r with the 8400. and just keep the ram unlinked from the FSB and you'll be fine.

Sorry for the question but it got me curious, what do you mean by keeping the ram unlinked from the FSB?

well when you oc usually when you increase the fsb, you increase the ram in mhz as well. and its done by a ratio. usually of 1:2 or 1:3 where the ram is the /2 or /3. and if you don't wanna oc your ram then you just unlink the ram speed from the fsb speed and you don't oc the ram at all.

I would get a p45 motherboard to go with the E8400. Intel chipsets are generally better overclockers and do not suffer from video corruption bugs like nvidia chipsets. Also sice p45's support Crossfire I recommend a HD4850 which is faster than the 9800gtx and costs the same.

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom