ATI Defenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
Not starting a Geforce vs ATI war again or anything, just having a simple question. If the graphic card rankings thread lists a HD3870 X2 as being higher then a every geforce card except 3 ( the GTX 280/260, and 9800 GX2 ) why does it always seem to fail horribly in all video FPS benchmarks I see posted on various websites? An example of a popular game would be AoC, in it, the HD3870 X2 gets lower fps then a GeForce 9600 GT and GeForce 8800 GT on average...so...any comments? Not only that, but its gamespots comments like this:

" During our testing, we found that Age of Conan doesn't play nice with ATI video cards. Aside from performance concerns, the ATI cards we tested locked two of the view distance sliders permanently to their maximum settings, and there isn't much you can do about it yet. Because of the locked sliders, we could only directly compare ATI and Nvidia cards at high quality settings. The game also has two entirely different preset medium quality settings for Nvidia and ATI cards; as a result, the "medium" image quality for the two sets of cards look nothing alike. The main difference between the two sets of medium settings comes from the main view distance range setting. On Nvidia cards, medium settings force the main view distance range to 2000 meters, down from 2800 meters in high quality mode. The draw distance number plunges to 200 meters on ATI cards. We tested both GPU brands with matching high quality settings but had to separate out the rest into their own charts for the other quality settings. "

that really make me not understand why people would not just want to go with the tried and true series of Nvidia cards?

Well that depends on the game, if it works well with Crossfire then it'll perform good, if not it performs like one HD 3870 in the game... usually it does that with nVidia optimized games since they don't want to support their rival's technologies in their games

But why make a whole new thread on this, just post in the Ranking List, and the list is supposed to be generic, not a definite list..

AoC doesn't like ANY multiple GPU solutions, be it ATI or Nvidia.

Some games are made to work better with Nvidia by default... think of it as paid compatibility because Nvidia helped finance the games that do. But most games don't care which card. Some games don't work well with multi-GPUs, some don't care, and some love them to pieces.

Actually, ATI has finally got their stuff together under AMD. Nvidia may be pushing out the behemoth cards with the behemoth prices, but ATI is eating up the low to upper mid-range which is where the vast majority of people are buying. Nvidia has some good cards in that range, but they are a generation or two behind before the price gets low enough for that.

Basically, for the best bang for the buck, ATI is sweeping the floor right now.

the 9800gx2 is no good in AoC either. The game hates multi gpu configs as trotter said.

Also what do you mean tried and true nvidia cards? ATI and nvidia have both been in the game a long time and have both produced tons amazing products...ATI is just as tried and true as nvidia...

You know I heard that Dainius guy said that 9600gt's SLI outperformed that 9800gx2, maybe its improving?

that really make me not understand why people would not just want to go with the tried and true series of Nvidia cards?
One of ATI's biggest problems in the past has been drivers.
However, after AMD acquired ATI, the ATI drivers got a lot more work put into them. Now, they are significantly better in general.

Linux drivers for ATI cards used to almost never work properly. Now, they are partly open source and vastly improved.

I've had mostly Nvidia cards in the past. Now I'm running two 3870's in crossfire, and I'm very happy with how they run. Crossfire for the vast majority of things is working like it should, even in XP x64

Truthfully I've been dissappointed with both companies in the driver factory recently. ATI has improved quite a bit but from my experiences with the x1950xt and hd 3870 there are still ways to go before I would consider buying a high end ATI card again.

But yes, I would agree that ATI is ruling the lower/mid range now. I can actually see them taking over a lot more market share if they keep their current approach.

Wonder how well these new cards are going to do in the market? I don't think the GT series cards from nvidia is going to sell very well. They can't reduce the price too much because they are very hard to produce.

I think this is ATI's chance to take back the market. Unless Nvidia does another 8800gt.

well in the UK the 4850s and 4870s are selling like hotcakes. AMD/ATI is going to make a decent profit from the RV770

Here's what one of overclockers.co.uk's staff has to say:

Gibbo said:
HI there

Half our HIS stock has sold, at this rate we shall sell out tomorrow.

Put it this way based on sales volume, ATI are kicking NVIDIA's ***....

nVidia is going for the super high end's right now.. and ATi are killing nVidia in the low to mainstream market

However maybe the 9800gt and the 9800GTX+ changes it (but I don't want it to :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom