Problems installing a Zotac nvidia GeForce 8800GT graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

capooth

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a Zotac GeForce 8800GT Graphics card for my gateway that has a C51G+MCP51 mobo. When i tried to install the graphics card in the PCI-express slot it would not go all the way down because there is a part on the mobo that blocking it from going all the way down. I believe that piece bloking my card is called a compactor. My question is does anyone know a way that i can get around this without having to buy a new mobo? I have a picture of my mobo stored on my computer, but am not quite sure how to post it up.

are you trying to say the metal piece that aligns with the case is hitting the "compactor" (capacitor) or is the actual card hitting it?

Sorry I meant capacitor not compactor. The graphics card is actually hitting the capacitor. I do have a picture but I am not allowed to post attachments for some reason. I was hoping that the card was inserted far enough to be read by the computer but after installing the drivers there is no sign of the card being recognized. Thank you all for you help so far!

That's the first i've heard of a Capacitor blocking the insertion of an expansion card. Upload a picture to PHOTOBUCKET or one of those services and then post a link so we can decipher whats going on with that.

Here is a pic of my mobo. When I am trying to install the card in the PCI express x16 slot, the third capacitor to the left of the PCI slot is the on making contact with the card.

mobo2-1.jpg

what part of the card is conflicting w/ the capacitor if a heatsink or plastic cover you could always try to shave a little off. but don't shave off any thing on the actual card it self. also u should try to do a little wire managment.

Hmm... I see what your saying. But with the angle of the picture it's hard to figure out a real resolution. Is there anyway you can get a side view of the card showing the contact point so we can see it up close and see if there is a workaround.

Here are the side pictures of the card. The part with the screw is the one making contact with the capacitor. Thank you for your help so far its much appreciated. I will also do some cord management, thanks for that advice as well.

DSC00761.jpg
DSC00760.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom