Cheap, efficient, and easy laptop cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I just figured out a good way to cool off my dv9700t (which, even on my Rosewill cooling stand, generated ridiculous amounts of heat on the GPU while gaming or running the new F@H GPU2 client). It's easy. I took 3 old 80mm fans (they came out of old/dead PSU's, one of the PSU's I replaced with a blue LED fan, the other was a cheap dual-fan that burned out on me so I salvaged the 2 fans). I soldered the wires together and have another old PSU behind my laptop with the green wire shorted with a jumper. I attached the fans by taping them together and set it beside my computer. It lowers the GPU temperature by 10 degrees, which is great for gaming and folding. It's a bit loud, but I don't care, it's not any louder than a desktop would be.

The only way I can see folding would raise the gpu temperature is that the gpu and cpu share the same heatsink and there is only one fan to keep them both cool. Which is the case in many laptops.

I'm running the new Folding@Home GPU2 client that runs on my 8600M GS...it uses the GPU's power for folding. I'm running the CPU SMP dual core client at the same time. Right now, my whole computer is folding! The fan thing helps keep the temperatures down while folding or gaming.

I've heard of gpu folding, but BOINC, which I use, only has cpu versions that do 1 wu per core. I use a utility that keeps both the cpu and gpu fans running at full speed constantly. So as long as I have kept the heatsink fins clean, I haven't run into any overheating problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom