HP dv9000 won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo58

Beta member
I got the BSOD on my HP dv9000 laptop. I rebooted and a few moments later there it was again. I don't think it was heat related because I had it raised about an inch in the rear with a 17" house fan about 2 feet away blowing directly at it. BTW it is 15 months old, just out of warenty. I done a backup of my files and reinstalled the factory setup. Now however when it is supposed to display the vista globe, it has it dispersed in little specks all over the screen and then goes into the BSOD every time. Can anyone help me identify what the problem might be? It has an Nvidia Go 7600 graphics card, 2 gb memory and is running Vista home premium(no service pack).

It POSTs and gets to Windows, correct? It locks up when trying to start Windows (after BIOS) and then messes up on the Vista logo and BSOD's? I'd try reinstalling Windows again. I'd also try running a memory test (many Linux LiveCD distros have MemTest86+, a good free memory tester that runs outside of Windows). You could have a bad RAM stick. I have a dv9700t that wouldn't even POST once, but I fixed it by removing the battery and putting it back in. I doubt your computer is damaged, maybe a bad stick of RAM or a bad hard drive, but I think your motherboard and the rest of your laptop is fine. First test memory, then reinstall Windows. It could be a bad recovery DVD (since hp makes you burn your own). If MemTest86+ says your RAM is fine and it still messes up after reinstalling again, try running a Linux LiveCD (like Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu). Since it's a full OS on a CD, it will make sure your PC is good (if it runs the Ubuntu CD, then your hardware is fine). At that point, you probably need a new recovery DVD (call/email HP and ask if they can send you one, if anything you'll have to pay maybe $10-20 for a good pressed recovery DVD).

So you think it's not heat related. Have you blown the dust out of the cooling vents with canned air lately? Check to make sure the cooling fan(s) are running. It sounds like your video chip is going into meltdown.

Could be, my dv9700t gets pretty hot (check new topic "Cheap, easy cooling solution for laptop" or w/e as I had to do a lot of work to cool mine to 65/80 [cpu/gpu]). Mine has an 8600M GS though (newer). I'd try using a cooling fan and booting it up. Like I said, if you try a live CD operating system, it would show you whether or not your motherboard is fried.

Thanks Calcprogrammer1, I haven't tried the memory test as of yet but I had a copy of Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" (a 2005 edition) so I installed it. The install went ok. I did notice one "failed item" at the beginning but it was moving so fast I didn't see what the item was. After the install was complete, it tried to start but failed. Said bios not found. Could this be my problem? If so what can I do?
Thanks

BIOS not found? That's not good...could be a corrupt BIOS. I've heard there's a way to re-flash the BIOS on the dv9000 series using the SD card slot, but not quite sure how. Can you still boot the Ubuntu CD? Try getting a newer CD (one that has Live CD mode) because you don't need to install it to your hard drive to get into the operating system and use the interface. The new 8.04 works well on my dv9700t. If it can't get to the operating system, your BIOS is probably messed up, and I'd try re-flashing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom