question on dvd burners....

Status
Not open for further replies.
120 minutes is the garbage they tell you when using a 4.7GB dvd for a digital video recorder like TIVO. 120 minutes means nothing technically because a DVD video can be recorded using a range of bitrates or variable bitrates. actually 2x is 30 minutes, 4x is 15 minutes. so 12x would be like 4or 5 minutes I guess

well, what if youre not doing tivo? like, i have a 4x dvd+r on another computer, and i've done a lot of home movies and backups of stuff in dvd . . . and on 4x, it takes 30-35 minutes

I think that if you(generally) want to burn DVDs every day or it is your job the speed is a serious advantage and you may buy something with the maximum quality. But if DVD burning is just a hobby additional speed is waste of money.I sometimes burn wedding DVDs and im payed for this.I have a Plextor at 4X speed and i never had a problem.

As for brand, I would suggest the Sony Dual layered DVD burner:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-235&depa=1

You can obviously do both single layered and dual layered on this burner, and I would suggest getting a dual layered DVD burner because those dual layered blank DVD+Rs will be much less expensive.

As for now, a cheap alternative to back up your DVDs and home videos is a program called "DVD X Copy". Not only can you chose what to burn (which languages, subtitles, special features, etc), it has a feature of burning only the movie in a lower quality so that it may fit onto one 4.7 GB disk. This is a cheap alternative for large action packed movies and episode collections.

well, i'm waiting for the BenQ Dw1650 . .

it has a sata interface, can burn dvds at 16x AND burn dvd r9 (DL) at 4x AND there is some speculation that it will burn it at 8x

Personally, I think personal DVD-writers are mostly a waste of money. If you're backing up 8-gigs of data all the time (and you aren't a high-end video/sound editor without a storage base) you need to rethink some things. If you're constantly running back and forth with gigs worth of data, as part of your daily process, I would suggest finding a different transport alternative (like an external HDD) where you can cheaply and readily change data.

Making DviX copies of movies (without owning the movie) is illegal, so we won't touch on that.

And the whole "making backups of my movies" is a bit loopy in itself. There's nothing to prevent harm or theft from coming to your "backup" collection, too.

My entire backup load at work is under 2 gigs, and we use tape and a HD-DB storage bank for that. Even IF we used discs, I'd just burn 2 CDRWs at a cent a pop and be happy.

I'm just rambling, but it just seems funny to me. I don't know. Files and programs keep getting bigger, but I still don't see the need (outside of professional use) for making DVDs left and right.

koldapu said:
. . . and on 4x, it takes 30-35 minutes

koldapu when you burn those 4x media does your buffer run low or does the buffer underun/ mount ranier/ ect. kick in? also what is the burner you use and what is the media? Can you hear it slow down or stop while burning? I use TDK 4x R+ and it takes 15 minutes. I can also burn it at 6x. my R- takes me 30 minutes to do a full size burn of 4.5GB

i got the 16x when i choose from the 12x dvd-rw and the 16x dvd-rw! i just go for the 16x, it will be better in the long run!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom