Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Oh Noo!!! It's A Noob!!!

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
CalcProgrammer1

Default Re: Oh Noo!!! It's A Noob!!!

Sounds like you'll need to max out the memory and CPU, but you don't necessarily need the best graphics or hard drive. If you're mainly using it for web browsing and have a lot of windows/tabs open at a time, you'll want a lot of memory (2+ GB) and a fast processor. 3GB of memory should be good, but I'd possibly go up a bit with the CPU. The T5550 is pretty common, but there are faster chips out there that can be found for well under $1000. I do agree to go with Intel though, as Intel seems to perform much better than AMD in the current generation of chips. If you can save money by going with XP instead of Vista, do it, as Vista won't be necessary for web browsing.

I have a big huge multimedia/gaming laptop with Vista Ultimate, but two of my friends both bought new Dell 14" laptops. One of my friends got a Vostro 1420 and the other got an Insprion 1420. Those are pretty much the same PC except the Vostro is the cheaper business model. They have the T5550 as the base chip, 3GB memory, good hard drive, optional dedicated 8400M GS graphics, 14" LCD display (widescreen), and the Vostro has the option of XP.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.