Beeping and won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

poundead

Solid State Member
Hi, i have a hardware related problem:

Pc was running fine, and i was playing some games, first, Need for speed prostreet, which suddenly began running in a faster speed than normal, everything was like it was on fast forward, and then i played Kane and Lynch: dead men, this game as well ran faster, and from time to time Froze up and the only way to put everything back to normal was to restart the computer with the button on the chassi.

when i restarted i got none at all response on the screen and i heard abeeping noise from the chassi. everything was plugged in as it was the first time i started it so it was no dumb mistake of not plugging something the right way, anyway, noe screen response, just the beeping sound which continued til i finally turned of the computer

I've been working day and night trying to figure this out, please help!1

A constant single beeping would likely point at the cpu itself. The make and model board or system there will help in looking up the bios used for error codes however. But the worst there is having seen a cpu fail likely from overheating.

Hey again and thanks for the fast answers, but i figured it out, turned out to be something as simple as the RAM being place icorrectly or something :S

RAM was my first guess, after overheating. Glad you found the problem. :) I first thought it might be overheating because of the use it had been going through. Constant beeping is often RAM issues, and sometimes CPU as mentioned earlier. If the sticks are not seated properly, as you found out, that can do it.

Bad ram, not seared down fully, wrong type or mix, cpu taking a doa trip all those will cause a constant long beep or steady beeing while another item like the video is too often one long and two short beeps. Know the bios for the board you run whether AMI, Award, Phoenix, etc. and you can always look up a specific error code at a site like bioscentral, pchell, or often the manufacturer will have a site for reference.

A quick search with the term "bios error codes" will generally reveal several sites. bios - Yahoo! Hosted Search Results

The first thing to know however is the bios used on a particular make and model usually seen in the manufacturer's specifications whether AMI, Award, Phoenix, or another for the specifics. If you install memory incorrectly or the dimms are not down fully in the slots you'll hear an alert for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom