Argh! Need a replacement fan for my northbridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, I've got a DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D. The northbridge cooler is dying on me. It's not squeeling, but it is a constant RRRR-rrrr-RRRR-rrrr-RRRR-rrrr... you get the picture. It is running at 100% according to Everest and Speedfan, but my northbridge is sitting at 51 degrees.

It has to be the same height or less than the original one, as it sits right against my GFX card. Anyone know a decent replacement that won't cost an arm or a leg? Heck, I can't even afford a little toe right now, so it will have to be very, very cheap.

Additional question... should it completely fail, will the board shut down when it gets too hot, or will it just cook itself? Seems like it is supposed to shut down, but it has been a while since I had to deal with any n4 issues.

While you're deciding on a new fan, try spraying the old fan's bearings with some silicon(e) spray. Should buy you at least a few more weeks.

It should shut down buy itself if it gets to hot. There should be a setting for the temp in bios somewhere. My Nforce 4 northbridge always ran at a constant 60 degrees C while the fan was 100 percent. So 51 is fine for now. I know what you mean though that little fan was the loudest thing in my case.

Sorry for the double post.

Anyways you could get this Trotter. it is only 10 bucks. But idk if it will fit in there with your video card.
Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM - NBF 47 Aluminum Heatsinks only - Memory & Chipset Cooling

I actually have one of these since my video card was in the way and my northbridge was getting really hot and my little fan was annoying. Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX Chipset Cooler
It didn't help my temps until i put a fan on it and it took it from 60 to 45 degrees Celsius. So i was very pleased. It is a little pricey, but idk what else you could get.

Here is a picture of it in my old case. http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o137/hickfarm/IMG_2454Large.jpg

The position of my new video card fan made have to place the fan on the botton instead, but i think you get the picture on how it will go around your video card. That is a 70mm fan on it.

Man i didn't realize that picture glared so much.

If you have some heatsinks laying around, then go ahead with some thermal grease and slap it on. I used some extra Zalman heatsinks from a video card cooler and AS5 to cool my friend's MSI NF4 northbridge.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've been doing a little online research, trying to find what other people have done.

It will boil down to how much dinero I can squeeze out of the budget... which sucks.

If anyone wants to make a PayPal donation, Pm me and I will supply the information. :D

Nope. My northbridge and fan are directly under the back-end of my GFX card, so it has to fit under it or be offset anough to allow clearance.

Lot of great suggestions, and I am appreciative of them. I ahve checked them all out, as well as where some have led me. My only hinderance now is the moolah... dinero is very, very tight at the Trotter household right now. As long as it doesn't up and die on me I'll hang in there and work on squeezing something out. My next payday will have our monthly bonus on it, 4.75%. Maybe I'll be able to milk a little out of it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom