Graphics card Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major selling point of the HD 4850? ITS PRICE!! HD 4850 is still a good $100 cheaper than the 9800gtx, and gives very similar performance, so once this card comes out theres not even a good reason to buy an 9800gtx just for 15 more FPS in Bioshock

but since this is a GPU Rankings List, we can't add price to performance

Also you linked about the 9800gtx+ thats 8% faster than a 9800gtx, we're talking 9800gtx here

It is looking like the 4850 is going to be a hard one to place just yet. There are so many different benchmarks for it

Sad that a card that was suppoused to set a new level is still behind the last generation card and more expensive.
well to be fair, the 9800 GX2 does have two GPU's. GT200 is a single GPU.
But I do agree that its price isn't exactly making it a good buy.

Anyone else find it wierd that ATI is taking back the AA crown? Before didn't there cards suck with AA turned up? Now they actually out perform nvidia by a good amount with AA.
Yeah, I noticed that. Looks like AA performance is vastly improved.
I have read that the RV770 doesn't use the shaders for AA, unlike R600 and RV670....

Anyway, even with benchmarks out now that are most likely legitimate, it is still kinda hard to judge performance.
It could be at least partially to do with drivers (on both sides), but you see a lot of variation with the new cards. A different game and different settings is so often showing a quite different performance scenario.

I think it's probably best to wait until all the cards officially release, so we can make better comparisions.

though IMO, the RV770 cards are perfect for multi-GPU setups. They're cheap, pretty low on power considering their performance, and crossfire usually seems to scale well.

the GT200 may get the top end of performance, though they might have to watch out for the 4870 X2 - at least as far as single GPU cards go, if you can count R700 as a single GPU. To the system, it should appear like one GPU....
Nvidia gets better FPS on DX10
That's a very general statement.

Nvidia gets better FPS on DX10

bio1920.gif

Notice that the 4850 is a bit more expensive then an 8800 GT and it performs better then the 8800 gt. While the other cards are more expensive then the 4850. Meaning that the 4850 STILL maintains it's bang/buck even on this chart.
That's a very general statement.
Agreed.

I think it's probably best to wait until all the cards officially release, so we can make better comparisions.
Can't wait!!! I want one of these next genereation cards, but I gotta wait and see how they work out.

as it stands the 4850 is probably the best bang for buck card out there.
it's looking like a great card when you consider price. Especially if you want to get multi-GPU's

I think if you crossfire two 4850's, it will end up being faster than a GTX 280, and at the same time cost less...

I think the only fault I can say about the 4850's is that they apparently run a bit hot. They've only got single slot coolers....
But then, you could probably easily get aftermarket cooling for them, and overclock them (Thermalright HR-03 GT's should fit on them I think). You might even be able to get two 4850's and aftermarket coolers and still have them cheaper than a GTX 280.

Other than the space they might use (two HR-03 GT's might make things a bit difficult), I don' really see a disadvantage in doing that.

Though I've done something a bit tricky; I put a wireless card in between my bottom 3870 and the heatsink fins of the HR-03 GT that cools it.
It's a small card, so it doesn't really impede anything.
The only thing is, you might have to cut the PCI bracket in half (metal thing that's got the ports sticking out) if you have a card that's designed for dual slot (4850's are not though).

.....I can't seem to find my digital camera righ now though

Hey maroon, the GTX 280 is too expensive for it's performence. :p

650 USD/96.2 FPS == 6.756 USD per FPS

200 USD/75 FPS == 2.666 USD per FPS

Using the graph YOU posted, you can clearly see why.

Sorry, I just, I just had too.. :)

Say, how much will the 9800GTX+ cost? I bet it will also be too expensive for it's performence. :)

Say, how much will the 9800GTX+ cost? I bet it will also be too expensive for it's performence. :)

No, its gonna be $229 according to nvidia. Thats why they released it, to keep ATI from gaining too much. But i don't think it will be enough when the 4870 comes out and blows us away.

Other than the space they might use (two HR-03 GT's might make things a bit difficult), I don' really see a disadvantage in doing that.

Will my accelero s1 rev 2 fit on a 4870/4850?

Well, using the graph Maroon Posted, with that game and those settings the 4850 still beats out the 9800GTX+ in reguards to price/performence.

Its not by much though...

229 USD / 85.3 FPS == 2.684

200 USD / 75 FPS == 2.666

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom