Upgrade Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hello,

So I'm planning to do some upgrades when I get back from overseas in a little...

I DEFINITELY want a new mobo, but what do you think between 750i vs. p45? I'd like to do a moderate overclock, nothing too crazy, but I have an q6600 slacr that I'd like to get 3.0ghz+

Other than that the only other upgrade I was thinking was to replace my 8800gts 320 with a 9800gtx 512. (Do you think I'll even notice a significant improvement btw a 8800gts in a PCIE 1.0 and a 9800gtx in a PCIE 2.0?)

Price is definitely an issue, I'd prefer not to spend more than $200 on a mobo unless it is god-like. Anyways, any contributions/suggestions are welcomed, as always.

Thanks.

Yeah from what I understand the 320MB 8800 sucks compared to the 512, and the 9800 is an improvement from the 512 8800.

If you're not looking to SLI then go with a DFI motherboard, I got one and it's a beauty, runs and overclocks like a champ. Got my q6600 to 2.8 Ghz and that was my first overclock, I really have no need to go higher as I don't feel like messing with voltages atm.

If SLI then I heard 750i ftw is a good board.

I would go with a p45 over the 750i because Intel chipsets are better overclockers in general. This Biostar p45 in particular is an exceptional overclocker.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also ATI just released the HD 4850 which is faster than the 9800gtx and is significantly cheaper.

Newegg.com - MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

agreed, get a nice p45. but the 4850 is not faster than the 9800gtx. its alot cheaper and goof for the price thats for sure, but not better. It seems to die at high res.

Edit: 9800gtx has dropped on newegg (evga version) to $200 get that instead.

Alright so it sounds like the p45 Biostar TPower and 9800gtx are the way to go. Hopefully their prices will fall even more by August when I'm actually gonna pull the trigger on this one. Thanks everyone.

a concern i had with the tpower is that it has 4 phase power. another concern is that it has an add-on northbridge cooler that is so big it would be miraculous if any aftermarket cpu HSF would fit with it installed. i havent seen it in person, but it is huge.
the asus boards have 8 phase and 16 phase, which is why i bought one.
but, the tpower has been shown to be a SICK overclocker. actuallly, all of the p45's seem to be.

a concern i had with the tpower is that it has 4 phase power. another concern is that it has an add-on northbridge cooler that is so big it would be miraculous if any aftermarket cpu HSF would fit with it installed. i havent seen it in person, but it is huge.
the asus boards have 8 phase and 16 phase, which is why i bought one.
but, the tpower has been shown to be a SICK overclocker. actuallly, all of the p45's seem to be.

Can you explain what the difference between 4/8/16 phase power is? Is it just efficiency based?

Also, good call on the extra northbridge cooler. Is that ABSOLUTELY necessary to install or just an option? I have a tuniq-120 so if a large hsf is an issue then maybe i need to chose a new mobo...

Can you explain what the difference between 4/8/16 phase power is? Is it just efficiency based?

Also, good call on the extra northbridge cooler. Is that ABSOLUTELY necessary to install or just an option? I have a tuniq-120 so if a large hsf is an issue then maybe i need to chose a new mobo...

from asus:
The ASUS 8-Phase Power Design provides highly efficient operation to generate less heat (at least 15°C (59°F)) than other conventional power solutions. It reduces input ripple current and output ripple voltage, which keeps CPU and power module from suffering the risk of high power stress. It has the advantages of quick transient response and stability, especially beneficial when CPU requires more current immediately under heavy loading or overclocking mode.
also, it keeps the voltage stable when comming off a heavy load. which is pretty important.
i dont think the hsf for the northbridge is absoloutely neccessary, but it probably gets pretty frikkin hot, or it wouldn't come with the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom