Hard drive problem? or cable problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

untruehero

Solid State Member
My problems are continuing and im not sure if my HD is bad or it might be a IDE cable. I have to HDs a 20 gig WD about 5 years old running my OS, and a 120 maxtor drive. recently i have been getting some blue screen errors, not many, but the bad thing is it sounds like my HD is turning off. And what happens is everything freezes, on boot up and goes to check the drives and it freezes there. after a few restarts all is normal. it got really bad the other day so i replaced the IDE cable and i was able boot up but the problem is still happening....it usually happens when im playing a game or the computer is on for a while...should i replace the old drive or is it a cable problem? thanks

scott

hey searchman thanks for the reply, it is not overheating from what i know of, i have had overheating problems in the past though...im running 44c idle and low 50s when running a game. the sound that im hearing is the HD shutting down, not a beeping sound which is what you are hear, most likly from an overheat. when you shut down imedialtly go to bios and check your temps. my mobo was just replaced and so was my chip and ram so i dont think it was either of those things. anyone else know what this could be.

scott

hey microbell thanks for the reply. what i hear is a whirling sound, i can hear the hard drive stop spinning, and some times i can hear it spin on and off, like a pulsing and then usually it starts back up. i have no LED lights on the case i have so i wont be able to see it. im going to try checking the wirers too and ill let u know what happens...thanks

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom