Starting Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritchie257

Solid State Member
I'm looking to build a computer with about an $800 CDN budget and I need some help getting started.

I've been looking at a few processors to start with and the Intel Core 2 Duo ones were recommended to me but I'm unsure about where in that line I'd be getting the best cost effectiveness.

This computer will be used for some moderate gaming I don't think anything too demanding (no first person shooters) and general use: internet, music, etc.

I have never overclocked and I'm not sure how difficult it would be so I'd like something that would run well at stock but if it'll save money I'll definately consider a better overclocking system.

So if any one has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Since I know only a little (and that little happens to be about Intel), I'll point you in the direction I went:

Most people along the Intel architecture like the E7200 or the E8400 for a nice reasonably high quality processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

If you're interested in saving some money, you can go with the E2180 (which can be overclocked):
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

As for motherboards, a reasonable motherboard for the chips is the EP35:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

From there, you can determine what type of graphics card you want (2400PRO, 2600PRO, 8400GS, or any of the 8800's). Just perusing other people's builds of computers may give you an idea.

Also, I just selected Newegg because I'm from the USA. You will probably need directcanada or ncix.

The 3850 and 9600GT are coming down in price, and both are awesome cards. Either one may be more card than you really need, though... but neither are Easy-Bake ovens, either. The 8600 is a space heater.

Go with a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM, period. DDR2 has gotten stupid cheap, so that won't be a problem.

Be sure you go with a quality power supply, if nothing else. Check through the appropriate guide for the brands to look for.

The case is entirely up to your own tastes and desires (and budget). A mid-tower is a good size, a little big, but it will allow your parts to get the air they need to run cooler.

4x1Gb doesn't give you much extensibility if you only have 4 slots. Also, if you have a 32-bit operating system, you need not (and in fact can't) have more than 3Gb RAM. I've heard lots of recommendations for the E8400, so you might want to compare the E8200 against that to see what better suits your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom