Is this a good offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Viksta

Ninja Stargate Addict
Right, i know ive posted here several times regarding getting a new laptop, and ive reached the climax of my situation now

I went to dell and found they are selling dell XPS 1710 laptops, and i found that a 2Ghz Merom, 2GB ram, 250GB HDD and a 7950GTX as well as a 1920x1200 screen and a 9 cell battery will set my back about £800 in total, so i was wondering, would that constitute as a good offer?

Also, the fact is that it is a 17" laptop weighing about 4Kg, and i need the laptop for school and college, so i might be taking it in and about every now and then, so would it be suitable for me to take to school given its size?

The battery life weighs in at about 2.5 hrs of internet with full screen brightness, so that seems to be excellent for me, so i was just wonderin if i should go for this laptop, since it doesnt seem too big (width aout 40cm)

I'm taking my dv9700t 17" HP to college, it's kinda big but not heavy and still manageable. As for the deal I don't know (from the US, mine cost $1800, don't know the conversion). Mine allows you to scale down CPU speed to increase battery life. I would certainly go with a 17" though, because the huge screen is good for gaming and browsing as well as pretty much everything else. 1920x1200 is better than mine (1680x1050) so it'll even be better than mine.

how will a native 24" res look on a 17" though... I think it would looks pretty crappy cause everything would have to be so small.. that would be for regular browsing though.

well im sure that i can zoom in with firefox and IE to stop that from happenning

besides, a geforce go 7950 GTX can handle crysis on medium high on 1280x1024...im sure that'll turn a few heads at school :p

and USD 1800 is about £900, which is roughly what the laptop will cost me when i add the VAT tax which is 17.5%.

I'm taking my dv9700t 17" HP to college, it's kinda big but not heavy and still manageable. As for the deal I don't know (from the US, mine cost $1800, don't know the conversion). Mine allows you to scale down CPU speed to increase battery life. I would certainly go with a 17" though, because the huge screen is good for gaming and browsing as well as pretty much everything else. 1920x1200 is better than mine (1680x1050) so it'll even be better than mine.

its about 912 british pounds.
and 800 british pounds is abotu 1.5 k for us

why do you want a good gaming laptop when you have your pc? are you not taking your pc? i would suggest unless you want to game on your laptop to just get a laptop thats light weight and will last forever (battery wise) such as a lenovo business laptop or a dell vostro.

I considered that as well, but the thing is that sometimes i will game for a while on the move, since for example, my mum aranges concerts and such, if i have to attend, and am left with nothing to do, i can just sit down for some warcraft 3 etc...

I am also keeping my eyes on the vostro 1310 with a 8400M GS, but i just saw XPS for <£1,000,000, plus, i am gonna need it to remain future proof, and i cant imagine a more future proof laptop for this price point

plus, im not gonna run around like a maniac with a laptop all the time, and im not exactly a weedy weakling so its weight is inconsequential. as for battery life, thats really the only thing making me look, but with a 80Whr battery, it doesnt look to be too much of an uphill struggle.

But yeah, the fact that i have my desktop is whats making me think, but for gaming on the go, it seems nice, and the fullHD screen comes as a bonus, for in the future if i want to watch a blu-ray film with an external drive (when it becomes cheap enough for me not to have to sell an arm to get it)...

Im not going to uni just yet btw...just college... so my pc is staying with me for the time being.

Also, it is a very competitive price for the spec, which is also why i like it

I have a xps M1710. Your price is about half of what I paid. The M1710 is more of a mobile desktop for gamers. Perfect for lan parties. I play Guild Wars on it with no problems. It's nothing I'd take to class. Afraid I'd get mugged for it.

I actually think a high resolution would be nice. Sure, text would be small, but it could be smaller than what it is on my 17" 1680x1050 and I'd still read it just fine. I have a PDA with a 3" 640x480 screen and I use it to browse the web quite often, keeping it on high resolution (low zoom) mode to fit stuff on the screen. The idea is that you're not very far away from the screen, so it should be readable. If it's not, then you probably need new glasses (if I take mine off...the whole screen looks like blurry nothingness, but if I put them on, the little words are clear and reading them is no problem).

that res on a small screen would mean you don't need to use AA in games... even at 1680x1050 you wouldnt ever need AA... thats awesome! details will look much better.. more pixels per inch...

desktop browing you can keep at 1680x1050... for everything else.. crank it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom