To Vista or not to Vista, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard how it is a memory hog, but I have 4 gigs of ram and would like to see Dx10 so why not? What do you guys think about using Vista 64 on a gaming rig??

depends. games over 10 years old might have problems. I play diablo 1 and ffxi on vista 64.

heck diablo 1 is over 10 years old now.

when i tried ages ago i couldnt play the original command and conquers. Though I think they may have fixed that when they released 'the last decade' c&c pack.

64 bit os is much better as it allows all of your ram to be used (as it should be). and todays processors are pretty much made to take advantage of 64 bit operating systems. vista 64 does not seem to be as plagued with problems as xp64 is/was. i am going to try out server 08 and see how it works for me. i would love to be able to use 6+ gigs of ram...doing what? i have no idea. i would just like to be able to do it.

i just re-formatted my entire PC becuase i added a RAID 0 array. I choose XP SP3.

I have not found the need to upgrade to vista yet becuase i see very little difference in DX10 graphics over DX9,

the only reall difference IMO is that some DX10 games will not allow you to run AA using DX9. not that big of a deal, if you ask me. if it gets so that ALL games being released have that problem, i might switch. i do like AA to the gills.

Just get 32Bit, To my knowledge there is issues with 64bit and gaming. You won't have any performance issues. I'm running vista right now with a moderate amount of options on (Simply for looks) with an AMD 4000+ and only 1GB of run of the mill Ram.

i just upgraded to vista 64 from xp 64 because of serious driver conflict issues causing my startup time to increase to 10 whole minutes ( i timed it cos i was so annoyed... :p ). vista uses about 700mb of my ram, but i havent had a problem with it as of yet, and i dont have any driver conflict issues. AS for the dx10 on xp, i tried it for xp 64, but it didnt work very well.... but thats probably cos xp 64 isnt supported for the dx10 on xp thingy (32bit dxdiag said dx10 but 64bit said dx9 so it didnt work). Im planning on sticking with 2gb ram atm till i get problems, i dont really want to use 4 sticks of ram cos i wanna oc my cpu more soon, and i dont want to get rid of my ballistix cos i spent £60 on them.

i just upgraded to vista 64 from xp 64 because of serious driver conflict issues causing my startup time to increase to 10 whole minutes ( i timed it cos i was so annoyed... :p ). vista uses about 700mb of my ram, but i havent had a problem with it as of yet, and i dont have any driver conflict issues. AS for the dx10 on xp, i tried it for xp 64, but it didnt work very well.... but thats probably cos xp 64 isnt supported for the dx10 on xp thingy (32bit dxdiag said dx10 but 64bit said dx9 so it didnt work). Im planning on sticking with 2gb ram atm till i get problems, i dont really want to use 4 sticks of ram cos i wanna oc my cpu more soon, and i dont want to get rid of my ballistix cos i spent £60 on them.

you don't want to use 4 sticks of ram because you're going to OC your CPU?? Does using more ram mess up OCing the CPU??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom