Need help buying replacement parts for pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Hey, my motherboard blew out on my pc, and it seems as though it is almost the same price to buy a newer mobo with a better processor compared to replacing the old one. Here are my computer's current specs:

AMD athlon 64 3700+ socket 939 processor
ASUS A8ne socket 939 motherboard
1 gig corsair ram
480 watt psu
1900xt graphics card
atx case

I'm currently looking at this scenario: (I'm wanting to spend around $230. My concern is with whether or not my psu can handle the load and if this is the best setup to maximize my gaming for what I want to spend.).

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

You need to get new ram(ddr2) for the new motherboard.
What model is your psu and what's the amp ratings on the +12v's.

Your old motherboard says that it supports ddr ram only, and corsair 2x 512 value select do come in ddr too.

Ahhh, ok. Oh well, I can just order a stick of 1 gig ddr2 ram from newegg and then order another when I have more money.

get 2 x 512mb so it will run in dual channel (you have to have even number of sticks). later you can buy a 2 x 1gb for 3gb total or 2 x 2gb for 5gb total (overkill).

Will this also work?:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Seems like an even better deal. I'm not sure what the low FSB of 800 on the processor I linked to initially in the original post actually means, but i'm trying to score the best deal here. What would having a low FSB on the 2.4gb dual core processor mean? I know that it has something to do with how fast the cpu communicates with the ram, but does it really have tha great of an impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom