Would a dual core processor be fine for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
My question is for my needs would a dual core (3+ghz) be fine? Or do I need to go for a c2d+?

I run vmware (a virtual machine) on mine (single core 2.7ghz) and my cpu usage is 35-75% (avg 55%). It's fine if all I do is browse the Internet (on the host computer) but if I ever want to play a game I need to shut the vmware down. Would I need to if I got a dual core? For basic gameing.

I saw this: XFX MG-610i-7059 Socket 775 Barebones Kit - Intel Pentium D 945 3.40GHz OEM, 500GB SATA HD, 20x DVD±RW, 3GB DDR2 PC5400, ATX Mid Tower Case, 500 Watt Power Supply at TigerDirect.com it's within my budget (I should only have to add $70-180).

I've saved up $800 I know I could get something better but I think it would be a waste for what I'd use it for.

MUCH better for the same money:
EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Socket 775 Barebone Kit - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20GHz OEM, 512MB Video Card, 160GB SATA HD, 20x DVD±RW, 2GB DDR2 PC4200, ATX Mid-Tower Case, 450 Watt Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

needs a cpu cooling fan, if you are not going to overclock, just get a cheap lga775 hsf.
i'd up the ram to at least 2gb of ddr2 800. thats just me. from what you are describing, the ram that is included will work fine for you.
this barebones has a much better cpu than the one you selected, but the HDD is only 160gb.

correct, v-dogg. OP the cpu in the kit i suggest is an alllendale, they just stuck the pentium name in there to confuse everyone, lol. but really, it is based on the c2d architecture, therefore much more efficient and powerful than the pentium d.

Indeed that one is better. The smaller hd isn't a issue I've got 2x80gb now and only use 40gb's of it.

I was going put the 500gb in my dvr security system.

It seems everything is diy. Think if I took it to a local computer place they'll put it together for me? (for a small fee) I've done most of it before hd/ram/video card/cd rom I've never messed with the cpu/cpu fan/putting the mb in.

*Side noob question* It would be considered 2x 2.20GHz (4.4ghz) rite? So if I game says Requirements: PC: 2.3+ GHz it would meet the requirement?

*Side noob question* It would be considered 2x 2.20GHz (4.4ghz) rite? So if I game says Requirements: PC: 2.3+ GHz it would meet the requirement?

It doesn't really work like that, the whole double your ghz thing. But, when you see Requirements on a game's box they usually are referring to something like a single cored Pentium4. So yes, your new CPU would easily exceed that requirement.

Indeed that one is better. The smaller hd isn't a issue I've got 2x80gb now and only use 40gb's of it.

I was going put the 500gb in my dvr security system.

It seems everything is diy. Think if I took it to a local computer place they'll put it together for me? (for a small fee) I've done most of it before hd/ram/video card/cd rom I've never messed with the cpu/cpu fan/putting the mb in.

You can't really do that because different Core Architecture's clock speeds work really differently

I take it you didn't read the Noob myth thread that vernong linked
13- "I have a 6ghz cpu! My 3ghz dual core, adds up to 6ghz!"
- No! you do not add the speeds of cores to get the speed of your system

I did read it. Yes the (4.4ghz) was wrong to type I don't know why I did.

I wasn't sure how to compare the dual core to a single core speed.

i.e If it says requirement is 2.3ghz (single core) and the dual core is 2x2.2ghz (.1ghz less) if it would be fine. It seems it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom